[TR] Mount Rainier - Inter Glacier 10/22/2009

AlpineK

Trip: Mount Rainier - Inter Glacier

Date: 10/22/2009

Trip Report:

I keep hearing reports of snow up in yonder hills, so I figured I better check out the rumors.

Good weather doesn't always fit with work schedules, but I had time on Thursday. The only real question I had was where to go. The Inter Glacier ended up at the top of my list. The only problem was a need to be in Seattle Thursday evening. Set turn around times really suck, and I hate looking at watches, but them's the breaks.

Headlamp starts are always a bit sucky, but being closer to the mountain early is a good payback.

Morning

IMG_1151.JPG

The trail had some icy bits, but I had to look carefully at the ground to see snow. Eventually once I got to Starbow I could really see new white stuff.

A bit below the base of the Inter Glacier

IMG_1147.JPG

I wasn't sure if the base of the glacier was just a dusting of freshiez on top of slick icy stuff, but at the base of the glacier I could put on skis and skins to ski up. At about two thirds height of the glacier my watch told me it was turn around time, so I stopped my upward direction and switched to downhill mode.

Sun with clouds is always nice

IMG_1133.JPG

Here's an early ski report for Crystal Mountain. I wouldn't get too psyched for lift skiing just yet

IMG_1129.JPG

Anyhow the skiing was nice. I found fresh powder in pillows on top of a nice old layer of corn

IMG_1139.JPG

Fun stuff

IMG_1142.JPG

You have to know when to say when though

IMG_1145.JPG

A long hike out got me to the car.

More skiing and less walking would be better, but the skiing was fun.

Approach Notes:

The trail in is a bit funky due to a shifting river

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic