Theological Signficance of the Jewel Wasp.

JayB

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our forefathers were hardly infallible and i would hope you don't need a list of the things in the constitution that currently have nasty black lines through them as evidence :)

Yes that's understood that these men weren't gods, but weren't they also students of history (with knowledge of the causes of the wars that ravaged the European Continent but also with an eye to the examples provided by the ancient world by the Roman Experience) who devised the blueprint provided by the US Constitution, that its checks and balances of power were designed, if working properly, to prevent the tyrannies of government? And the Bill of Rights was developed and ratified to show what a free people exercise in common? Certainly this is not uncommon knowledge and that they showed some spark of genius exhibited in their arrangement.

Would things have been more appropriate if Jefferson has used Locke's words in saying: life, liberty and estate (or property), thus implying in line with the Greek model that only certain citizens were afforded the rights and also thus serving to sanction slavery?

Granted, I am in line with you in believing to a certain degree in social progression but not merely for its own sake. There's a man called Marcuse who spoke of something called 'repressive desublimation' where freedom appears to increase in things such as the sexual realm but at the exact same time the prospects of real liberty are diminished. Be careful with what progression really is.

also, jefferson, who was far from revered in his time, was quite hostile to religion - he and many of hte intellectual anchors of the revolution were certainly fans of voltaire, who was a screaming atheist

That's open to debate. I am aware of the Jeffersonian Bible. Some have claimed he was merely a Deist but again that would imply a belief in something transcendent although not necessarily in some entity that interacts on a personal basis. Jefferson and others certainly did not carry the case as far as the French did when French revolutionists sacked the cathedrals and dethroned God only to replace the Deity with one of their own, personified as the Goddess Reason.

BTW, I rather like the words said by Rousseau: Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains. (Jacques-Jean Rousseau, The Social Contract, 1762). I do recognize that his words are in some opposition to the idea of natural rights but it is also a recognition of the chains that we bind ourselves in that social compact and that we often "'hang garlands of flowers on the iron chains that bind us'".

BTW, Singing the Magic Themes of The Grand Patriotic Era: Our God Inspired Founding Fathers, Lennon as Post-Modern Apocalypse, and Mom's Virginity, only pacifies the brain-eaten Zombie Horde.

Recommend PMing KKK.

Here's some timely logic right back atcha:

a) Your religion discriminates against gays.

Ergo

b) You suck.

A) You presume to know what my religious beliefs are.

Ergo

B) You're a dumbshit.