Knee injury

JBo6

So about 3 years ago I managed to go over the handlebars of my bike and came down straight on my kneecap. Went and got x-rays and saw a doc and the verdict was a contusion. The knee took a while to get better, but a week ago went on a long backpacking trip and it began to hurt and swell during the night. I went and saw a PT when I got back to see if he had any advice, and he said that when I crashed I may have chipped some cartilage off of the tip of my femur when my kneecap rammed into it. Has anyone ever heard of this or know of a good way to read up on this? All of my search attempts involving knee and cartilage brings me straight to the meniscus. Basic prognosis is "If the activity hurts, stop doing it" and I would like to know some long term consequences without waiting to see whats up.

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a piece of cartilage missing from your Femur, totally different problem/answer than a torn meniscus. I had/have the injury your PT guy suggests. The only way to really tell is with an MRI. It took an OATS cartilage transplant to fix mine. Did the surgery in Jan '07 and still doing rehab. But it is better than not having done the surgery...at least I think so most days.

Good discussion here:

http://www.isakos.com/innovations/oats2.aspx

Yeah dude, you got my sympathy for sure. I don't know jack about it. So go with the medical 2nd look thing. When I was in high school, bunch of us built a big, bad-assed jump up on the Mile at Timberline. I had what may have been a perfect jump going (In my mind) with some massive air, highest of the day. Things went awesome until the landing. I was a tad too far forward so that when I came down, both skiis popped off. That would have been fine except the right knee smacked onto the ski. Still gives me trouble till this day, in fact, it hurts more sleeping on it than climbing.

Good luck!!!