what happened to mountainzone.com

hikerwa

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Conrad Anker mentioned their satellite hookups being pulled midexpedition- one day they were posting to the site via live uplinks, the next day, no contact or any further support. there was talk of Quokka being as woefully underfunded and over leveraged on these wildly unrealistic expectations that most internet companies seem susceptible to.

Yeah, I know what happened. They implemented a business plan that would never make any money and a bunch of sorry pathetic investors fell for it and the employees walked away with all the money after not making a dime in revenue. Strange...that sounds awefully familiar....

Quokka bought MountainZone a few years ago for $10 million. Unfortunately the deal was in Quokka stock and you know who got screwed. Quokkas stock became so undervalued at like .01$/share that SEC removed them from trading. They filed for bankruptcy right after that. Here's a great recent article.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6689462.html

Quokka was a former client of mine. Most screwed up bunch of arrogant, unfocused people I've had the pleasure to work with. Their business plan changed faster than their revenue projections.

Burned through something like $300 million and not a thing to show for it. I just feel sorry for Potterfield and the rest of the folks at Mountainzone. Mountainzone was a cool site. They got a raw deal.