Mt Buckner condtions?

Wes_Ft_Collins_CO

Looking to head into the Cascade pass area soon.

Does anyone have any idea what conditions on the north face of Mt Buckner would be like?

Considering I'm reading reports of September-like conditions on other nearby peaks, I'm assuming it's alpine ice with a large yawning bergschrund that may or may not be passable.

thanks,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We climbed the North Face last mid-July with the idea of skiing it and there was already large sections of bare rock. Even though in some places there was more snow this year, considering the wedder this year I'd guess it's probably pretty dried up.

You don't have to guess. The pictures in the link show it pretty clearly. It's bleak right now.

I'd suggest E Ridge, N Ridge, or NW Face on Forbidden. S Ridge on Torment, either on it's own or as access to the excellent Torment Forbidden Traverse (note that the north side snow traverses may offer significant late season challenges). Sharkfin always seemed like a long ways for not much, but that's just me.

A high alpine traverse over to the Eldorado area after you're done in Boston Basin could offer some scenic and challenging travel with something like Early Morning Spire or Dorado Needle waiting for you.

Both can be easily done as day trips

Unless you're feeble like me.

Negative self talk will hold you back from reaching your full potential. Read Performance Rock Climbing or spend time with John Frieh.

I've eaten John Frieh's dust and never left the parking lot. :laf:

My point is that off the couch does not lend itself to 5000' round trip days. I know how to be less feeble, I just have to want it more.