cost to go hiking in the ONP

olyclimber

$15 to drive your car in

$5 + $2 per person per night (35 total)

= $50 to go hiking in the park.

crazy to think it wasn't that long ago it was totally free to go into the park (or rather funded differently). i realize this is a "pay if you use it" tax that couch potatoes don't have to pay because they never use the park, but i don't think it will ever sit well with me. for me the park used to be a wild place you could wander into and explore...now it seems like that experience is just another commodity with and entrance fee and a daily charge. i know there are great rangers working there and this helps pay for the up keep of the "resource". it just feels a bit like innocence lost. the spirit of freedom and wildness feels weakened by the daily fee. like its a thing i buy at REI and it has a UPC. as a kid i remember being able to go hiking up there any time without checking in and paying the man. now when i'm going to take my boy hiking in there, we have to feed the meter to get in. they even spend something like 20% on "fee recovery" aka enforcing the fees on people who don't pay the piper. i just wish it was funded as it was before. perhaps there are just too many people visiting/too many people on the earth for that to be a possibility.

I guess this is progress, and I can always go to Alaska to find what i'm seeking.

/end bitching

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$15 to drive your car in

$5 + $2 per person per night (35 total)

= $50 to go hiking in the park.

crazy to think it wasn't that long ago it was totally free to go into the park (or rather funded differently). i realize this is a "pay if you use it" tax that couch potatoes don't have to pay because they never use the park, but i don't think it will ever sit well with me. for me the park used to be a wild place you could wander into and explore...now it seems like that experience is just another commodity with and entrance fee and a daily charge. i know there are great rangers working there and this helps pay for the up keep of the "resource". it just feels a bit like innocence lost. the spirit of freedom and wildness feels weakened by the daily fee. like its a thing i buy at REI and it has a UPC. as a kid i remember being able to go hiking up there any time without checking in and paying the man. now when i'm going to take my boy hiking in there, we have to feed the meter to get in. they even spend something like 20% on "fee recovery" aka enforcing the fees on people who don't pay the piper. i just wish it was funded as it was before. perhaps there are just too many people visiting/too many people on the earth for that to be a possibility.

I guess this is progress, and I can always go to Alaska to find what i'm seeking.

/end bitching

well at least you don't have to check your bag at the trailhead...