REI Flash 30?

Alpine_Tom

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get what you pay for usually.

My experience with REI packs has been fine with the exception of durability.

BUT, with an REI product you can always just return and exchange it when something goes wrong...no questions asked.

So basically it's up to you. I would tend to take Bills side on this tho.

REI has an extensive lineup of made in China packs that really aren't too bad....and like PhoQ said.....

You might divide the total extra dollars by the amount of years you will have the pack and then think if that extra amount per year to have the best during that period is worth it to you.

I picked up a pack from Cilogear this spring and it's been great so far: super lightweight, totally functional in the alpine, and versatile with modular(removable) features. Climbs well too!

Graham and co. were very patient and helpful in getting me into just the right pack and I was pretty psyched to support some high-end alpine gear fabrication in PDX...

Try Randy @

http://coldcoldworldpacks.com/intro.htm

Each pack is made by the company's owner to your specific needs. The Ozone is a simple 30L pack that you'll be hard pressed to EVER wear out. Seriously!

Prices are great, workmanship stellar, waits typically short and customer service hard to beat.

If you need something a little different (or a lot) than what he shows on his web page, you just have to ask. Do a search here or on SuperTopo.com for CCW pack feed back. Randy built a one off for me from the basic Ozone design with two rope straps and lots of other added details. All for an amazing $124. delivered. Now four of my buddies are using similar packs. My latest Spectra cloth option weighs in at 1 lb. 8 oz. Dropping 12 oz from the 2 lb 4oz Ballistics nylon versions pictured.

Two versions of a custom Ozone in red ballistics nylon shown below, with and without a extendable lid.

aem.sized.jpg

aeo.sized.jpg

aed.sized.jpg

Thanks for all your feedback. My intentions are for a pack that I'd use probably less than half a dozen times a year. If I were the kind of climber I'd *LIKE* to be (going out a few times a month) then I'd certainly opt for a more robust well-built pack.

I don't know if this is a better suggestion, just another possibility. I like the Black Diamond Speed 28 (they also make a bit larger version). It is light, durable, simple, and comfortable. I've had mine for 5 years and use it a lot for day climbs and used it in the Alps for hut-to-hut climbing. There are lots of good options out there (almost too many)...good luck in your quest!DSC005261.JPG

The Flash 30 @ $60 plus tax is going to be hard to beat for a pack that will get little use. Plus the fact that if you have a problem you can return it used for a full refund would make a difference to me.

Only caveat I would have is make sure it actually fits your back......

I checked out the Flash 30 too, certainly not a bad value; but I wanted something a little more substantial for carrying heavier loads (rock rack, etc..) I got a Black Diamond Speed 30. I can remove the hip belt, top pocket, and frame sheet/stay; to strip it down to 1 lb 3 oz. Still carries 15 - 20lbs nicely, stripped. Small and light enough to stuff into my overnight pack for summit day. Has rope strap, tool loops etc... Very comfortable.

Yabbut the Cilogear 30L, which I assume is about the same capacity of the Flash 30 (except without those nice stretchy pockets on the sides) costs about twice as much.

As you may know, I own CiloGear.

It is my informed opinion that there are different successful manufacturers because folks are looking for different things...ie, YMMV.

If it's a pure dollars and cents issue, go buy what you can afford.

If it's not a pure economic issue, feel free to consider some thoughts.

I'm willing to bet that you'll end up using it more than a few times a year. 30L sized packs are among the strongest part of the market because of their general utility. If the pack isn't too heavy, if it isn't a piece of crap, you'll end up using it for daily tasks, for short hikes, and a number of other things you never thought to use it for.

The CiloGear 30L and the REI Flash are about the same size. That's where the similarities end.

For twice the price, the CiloGear pack uses significantly better materials -- from the 210d Dyneema / Cordura Ripstop to the VX42 -- and significantly less crapola that's just going to get in your way. Even though our pack is made from a heavier material (210d vs 140d nylon -- it's not even Cordura to hit that price point), our pack weighs less. Go figure, or to put it another way, welcome to contract manufacturing versus JIT manufacturing in house.

I think the lack of straps on the side of the Flash pack will make it very difficult to carry skis or anything else on the side of the pack.

But again, what's your priority?

Thanks, Crackers. I certainly didn't expect a response from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I agree, over time a $60 delta is pretty minor (over five years, it's a dollar a month.) I don't ski, so I don't need to carry skis. And I feel like those cute zippered mesh pockets on the waist strap of the REI pack are just silly (but the perfect place to keep your dog-bone-shaped caribiners!)

The thing that I find really frustrating about most technical packs is the lack of outside pouches or pockets, and I really appreciate the big stretchy pouches on the sides of the REI model. No, they won't last forever, and they won't hold a handful of cams each, but for a convenient place to stash a water bottle, or a couple of apples, it beats the hell out of jamming everything into the main pack where it inevidably falls to the bottom and have to dig out everything else to find what you're looking for. It's a tradeoff, I suppose. I am no Steve House; hell, I'm hardly qualified to look at pictures of the routes he does. The most technical route I've done that I might have used this pack on is the N. Ridge of Stuart.

As one who's raised buyer's remorse to an art form, no doubt I'll spent a LOT of time thinking about what I *SHOULD* have gotten.

If I was in Portland, I'd certainly have come down to have a look at your facility.

As one who's raised buyer's remorse to an art form, no doubt I'll spent a LOT of time thinking about what I *SHOULD* have gotten.

Heh heh heh.

May I suggest that instead you buy what you want today and then spend a LOT of time thinking about what you want in the NEXT pack? ;)

Edited by crackers