Weather Conspiracy!!!!

miker

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate vantage as much as anyone....It's been too hot over here to even think about the place, but I had a couple of hours to kill so we headed over to check it out. Zig Zag wall- it's completely in the shade. Climbed a few bolted routes that weren't too bad. Id say they're somewhere in the mid 10 range. I also climbed a couple of cracks- very dirty but with a little cleaning they could be pretty good

I have climbed in the rain at Vantage, it usually ain't to bad as the place is so dry the water is sucked up by the rock like a sponge. But being 50 feet up a "dirty trad" stem and having the wind try to pluck you off the wall was ever so exciting.

Maybe I'll just climb the walls or find Cavie's high stash and get a little higher myself.

mike

If your looking for something new at Vantage there is the Winterlock wall and the Cube. It's located across the canyon from the Feathers.

Drive past the Feathers parking lot about a mile and there is a turn off on the left hand side. Hop the fence and walk NE along a maintance road until you see a trail an obscure trail on the left. You can see the Cube (which is actually two big blocks) from the Feathers to give you an idea where it is.

There are 5 routes(?) on the cube from 5.8 to the 10s, very short but fun. Be careful of poison oak between the blocks. On the wall there are a few routes, I know there is a 10a requiring some small gear on the start and a .9 next to it. Both these are two pitches. If you blast past the first anchors you can be lowered to them from the top with a 60m rope, and then rap off those. The rock has been cleaned but I'd definately take helmets as the area is pretty loose. I wouldn't call it a destination area but worth checking out.

Hey, if you're up in Everett then driving time is shorter to Skaha than Smith. Some well-rounded climbers actually prefer the lightly wooded slopes and friendly atmostphere of Skaha.

Frenchman Coulee - Winter Walk Wall, right to left (as you encounter them):

11?; 10D; 10D; 10D; 10/11?; 9

They're 100' to 125'with lots of bolts, up to 21 bolts.

The Cube. 4 routes on West block (10 & 11 on west face, ~8 and 10 on inside face), 1 route on East block (10).

I haven't climbed any of these, just got a copy of a beta sheet.

I climbed at Frenchman Coulee on Saturday and it was dry and warm/hot. It was very windy though. I wouldn't have wanted to be camping Saturday night because the wind was really cooking at dusk and there is no protection in the campground. You would've been confined to the tent.

In case you are all wondering, the weather sucks because I am still not able to get out and climb due to my injury in April. The weather has sucked since then. I may possibly be able to get out this fall, but don't count on it!

The good news is it should be an excellent ice season, so start sharpening those tools!