Hilti 36V battery rebuild?

John Frieh

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had some batteries from a couple of older Makita impact drivers that the batteries died, and makita stopped making those batteries. I took them over to Batteries plus on NE Broadway @ around 30th. They just replaced the worn out cells, and installed new ones, and glued the plastic case back together. Now my favorite impact driver is good as new.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my Hilti 36v and Sawzall 18v batteries off to these guys at Primecell because they upgrade the cells to either higher capacity NiCDs or to NiMHs (not the Hiltis) which up the run time. I couldn't get from the Batteries Plus guys what they'd be replacing them with and the difference in price covered the shipping with the Primecell guys. If you use the Batteries Plus guys you might try reading the Primecell website and specify you want the them to upgrade the cells they use if they don't already.

Will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to see how they perform. The Sawzall had a real lousy run time and I should be able to tell the difference the first time I use it.

Thanks JH,

I took my Hilti 36v battery (symptoms similar to your sawzall) to Batteries Plus. They looked at it and looked up the right cells for a rebuild and quoted me $230 for a rebuild. However, the tech said that rebuilding this exact battery was the final exam for battery cert program and it took him 8 hours to do it - and he'd rather not do mine because it's so old he is concerned we'd do a ton of work and it wouldn't work any better than now.

Either he's right (quite possible) or it's a cop out. I asked them to try reconditioning and they did at no charge, but no benefit. So I'll go back to pick it up at no charge. But I'm back to square one.

I can drill one hole per trip to the crag - makes you think carefully, but now I've decided where placements should go on a 30m bolted route so it would take 9 trips to the crag to complete the line!

Maybe I'll send it off to Primecell or wait to hear how yours goes. Please post. thks.