To Whoever Stole Our Gear from Tilly Jane

WageSlave

Yeah, that's you I'm drunkenly ranting at on the internet. You stole our stove, fuel, pots, sleeping pad, clothes, and my buddy's fucking JOURNAL you assholes. We bailed off the North Face of Hood and down the Southside in a whiteout and couldn't get our gear back for 5 days, so you looted it with no remorse. We're not dead, so give it back you pricks. In the meantime, I hope you use it for some big alpine climb that avalanches on you and leaves you cold dead and alone.

PS If you give it back, or at least the journal, I'll promise to not sic the attack dogs on you.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lame for sure, but I'm not sure wishing whoever it is will die is the best way to reason with them.

F*em, they didn't know if these guys would come stumbling down after a 2 night out epic on the Mt without their sleeping bags and barely make it to the cabin in a comatose/hypothermic near death state and these pricks stole their sleeping bags? That could easily kill someone at the wrong time. It's why they use to hang horse thieves, without a horse in the backcountry you were pretty much screwed, usually the water was draped over the saddle horn and your sleeping stuff over the back as well.

Hey wageslave: would there be a place or a way they could anonymously drop off the journal, or all your stuff, if they read this and feel guilt? How about Mazama clubhouse or someplace generic so you don't have to give out an address.

Wageslave may know of a better place but in the meantime if someone did feel compelled to drop this stuff off they could bring it to the Reed College Community Safety building on SE 28th just South of Steele and leave a note that it is for:

Laura Freeman

970-596-3215

that way they could call me and I could come get it. The journal could also be mailed anonymously to campus mailbox 1122:

3203 SE Woodstock Blvd

MS 1122

Portland, OR 97202

Wishing you folks well and I hope you get it all back.

ps, I see you list Montrose, Colo as an address. I lived in Paonia for a bit. Hopefully you never ran into my cousin, Tommy Sandifer: highway patrolman he's out of Montrose as well. Some of my relatives come from over there. Great Grandpa Hammond was a friend of Chief Ouray and got some of his stuff when he passed away, and some of my other relatives traveled that road past Montrose back when the military had first put it in @ 1880 or so, I was reading the letters while back I don't remember the exact date. Great Grandpa Sandifer was born during the civil war in Kentucky and rather than continue to starve and eat grass and other poor forage they moved west, he had lived in Paonia from @1869-1870 until 1966 when he passed away. Lots of Sandifers and Hammonds running around over there.

Edited by billcoe

maybe talk to the friends of tilly jane group? i think winter's on it, and he's active on the board. perhaps somebody brought it down w/ the intention of getting it back to you? did any of it have your names or numbers on it?

hope it finds its way back to you - my picket that you bootied doesn't exactly offset the current deficit! :)

Friends of Tilly Jane would be a smart place to start. No names or numbers on my stuff, but the stove and fuel bottles have "Reed College" on them. Whoever took the stuff went through my pack that I left up there with almost everything in it. And they didn't even take the bottle of whiskey under the journal. The hot pink biner from your picket almost makes up for all the looted gear, but not quite.

Billcoe-

I think I've run into just about every highway patrolman in Montrose and Gunnison counties! I grew up in Montrose and had a pretty wild time with my little brother and our crazy redneck friends. I still make it back several times a year, it's beautiful country.

After this past winter break I probably should add Ouray county to that list... I'm lucky I didn't get arrested a few times! Or taken home by some interesting fellows as wageslave can attest to!

That's lame. I've often wondered if is safe to leave gear up there. Maybe leaving a note on the gear would have helped? (probably not) When stuff like this happens, you always wonder what the thieve was thinking. How did he/she know when you were coming back? Can you imagine the situation where you you bump into the thief as they are walking out the door with you gear? That could be ugly when the victim has ice tools in hand.

Edited by eldiente