It's your Friday afternoon update

sobo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eyes are getting fucking bad and need stronger reading glasses,(coke bottles)plus they got wind burned last sat. on Adams 10,600ft. at 2am. 20-45+ gust,had to abort my summit shot for per-sunrise pictures!

But i do like to re-read a good book,its like twice as good!

my finest moment in jeopary history was guessing:

"what is 'das boot?'"

2 minutes before they came back from the commericial break after adverting the category as "foreign film"

:)

achtung - juden!

My frist Jet ride to Hawaii the movie was "Das Boot" in German with english subtitles!

Was a good movie but shouldn't be shown on a 6hr. flight with 290 people,for it had planes being shot down!

SOBO,started reading Shadow Divers Last night,it was written in 2004 and the LAST DIVE was written in 2000 so i know U-who's story but can tell the difference between Robert Kuson and Bernie ChowdHury in their writing styles. Kursos has a nice smooth flow that draws you in,and as for Chowdhury this was his frist book,more his dairy with lots of people filling in the blanks to make it a true story of Diving and well worth reading!!

Oh i was wong about Death Seeker,Chrissy Rouse called it THE "SEEKER OF DEATH" and told his mom jokingly he'd die diving wrecks!!

Reminds me of Rob Slater on K2 who's mantra was "SUMMIT OR DIE" either way i win and died in 1995 with Alison Hargreaves!!

Norm bigdrink1.gif

Edited by pc313

My frist Jet ride to Hawaii the movie was "Das Boot" in German with english subtitles!

Was a good movie but shouldn't be shown on a 6hr. flight with 290 people,for it had planes being shot down!

Same for me the the first time I saw Das Boot; in German with English subtitles. That's still the only way I like to watch it. It's just not the same in English...

BTW, where are the planes being shot down in this flick? I don't recall that part at all. I do recall at the end of the film, when the sub's base gets bombed during an Allied bombing raid and the boat is sunk, but I don't remember any planes getting shot down...

Same for me the the first time I saw Das Boot; in German with English subtitles. That's still the only way I like to watch it. It's just not the same in English...

BTW, where are the planes being shot down in this flick? I don't recall that part at all. I do recall at the end of the film, when the sub's base gets bombed during an Allied bombing raid and the boat is sunk, but I don't remember any planes getting shot down...

I've seen it both ways and the subtitle version was best and made you fell on board the sub,and it was during the bombing raids at the end as i recall some real footage of fighters and bombers being shot down witch in all reality alot of aircraft were lost on booming raids,but i will grab my nieghbors new DVD and the extra footage and check for its been over 20yrs since i've seen it last!

Just watched the doc. on U-864 and can see were the sub on sub,and U-869 sub killing its self plots in "HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER" may have came from...Type: U-864 in "web search" for the story if you don't know it.

Cat's ass,rat's ass,drity old twat;

Sixty-nine douche bags tied in a knot;

Cocksucker,motherfucker,dicky licker,too;

I'm a fuckin' scuba diver,who the fuck are you?

Cat's ass,rat's ass,drity old twat;

Sixty-nine douche bags tied in a knot;

Cocksucker,motherfucker,dicky licker,too;

I'm a fuckin' scuba diver,who the fuck are you?

WTF??? You an Atlantic Wreck Diver now or what?

Don't forget to :ass: them if the pleasure boaters aren't sufficiently disgusted by the poem. :laf:

The two wreck dives i did were 60-80ft. warm clear Hawaii water and not ships but boats,the biggest being 65ft. fishing boat with nothing left to plunder(i think 100ft or bigger is a ship)but still deadly,also a old twin cargo plane from the 60s but it was just a junk pile but you always finding chunks of boats in the reefs for they come and go with the tides.

I have been on a few dive boat daytrips off Maui and Kona up to 20 mi. out to sunken volcano rim's,nice ride,great food,wine,and beer all for $60-150 with your gear,but you couldn't drink til you were done,so two dives and open up the bar!

I took Diving classes in Federal Way Wa.1983 Open Water two week course for $80 and 300 Deposit for gear,24 hours of school and pool,10/14hr. and 5 open water dives in the Sound on the last weekend. There were 16 people til after the frist open water dive,something about cold dark murky shark filled water took its toll and scared the shit out of people so the fifth and final dive we were nine but every o/w dive we were shadowed by Scallop hunters who hang with you if they could fill your BC pockets with Scallops b/c you can only have 6-8 per person a day.

After the frist week one of the classmates and i took are gear to Lake Wilderness for a dive,WTF we had 4 hrs in a pool,stayed in 30ft. or less for 45mi.,so we showed up monday night to class with 800psi. in are tanks? The last dive was the test,they took us all down to zero visibility at 70 feet and line us up on are knees and one by one you removed you BC Tankpack,you Mask and Regulator,made the O.K. hand sign and put it back on in the dark. I've never been scared of being alone in the dark.

Edited by pc313

I have only dove one wreck, this one, off Snake Island in BC about 10 years ago. It was cold and dark, and scary as shit. My climbing (and diving and sailing) buddy was going down in a drysuit for the first time, and my (later to become) wife and I were in our 6mm "Puget Sound" wetsuits. Phil fucked up while airing up his drysuit at 15 feet down and upended himself and couldn't re-right himself. He freaked out and bolted for the surface (upside down). You should have seen his eyes, big as fuq'n saucers, as he missiled past me.

So now I'm waiting in the water while Rebecca gears up, since she wasn't originally planning on diving this wreck, but was waiting until we went to a mellow reef dive later that afternoon. As I mentioned in another post, she has way more dives under her belt than me, and is certified for wreck diving, but it had been several years for her since she last penetrated anything at this depth (100+ feet). So I'm bobbing around at the bow of the boat, using air because the sea is really choppy, and it's easier to breathe this way than swallowing seawater. I didn't bother to check my tank's gauge before she hopped in and we descended the anchor line together to the wreck.

The current was pretty strong at shallow depths, but as we descended into the dark, it abated and we drifted right onto one of the gun turrets. We let go of the anchor line and swam down to the deck, and at about that time, I checked my gauges. SHIT! I had about 700 lbs of air left! And I had a 100+ foot decompression to go through still. For those that don't know what this means, you start a dive with around 3,000 lbs of compressed air on your back, and you aim to be back on the boat with about 1,000 lbs still in the tank, for safety reasons.

I signaled to Rebecca that I had to go up, and now. She was confused, until I showed her my gauge readings. Then her eyes got as big as fuq'n saucers, just like Phil's had, but for a different reason! :laf: So we swam around for a few more minutes, burning up my dwindling air, until we found the anchor line again and began our ascent. Stopped at all the right places on the way up (the line is permanently marked with deco stops) but had to guess on the time. That was because Phil had the only dive watch in the group, and he was sitting topside, de-freaking out. So it was a tad bit unnerving, trying to guess how long I was at each stop. I learned how to count time pretty well that day... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I put Rebecca in the boat first, and when I got in and had a chance to relax, I checked my gauge. I had about 100 lbs of air left, at sea level. I had never gone that low on air before, and I was pretty alarmed, but glad to be on board. Everyone else on the boat, including the charter captain and another pair of divers (them bastards had nitrox :jealous: ), were more excited about it than I was, and congratulated me on how cooly I handled the situation. I was just happy to be breathing real air. Between my being dangerously low on air and Phil's freak-out, I realized after that dive just how easy it would be to get hurt real bad while diving if you didn't keep your emotions in control. We motored over to the second dive spot of the day, and we contented ourselves to dive a reef at only 35 feet. The resident octopus (who is very friendly and well-acquainted with divers) came out and climbed on my head. Much less stressful than diving the wreck...

Fuck thats a ship and fucking deep,not to mention cold and dark,I would have done a few easy dives to make shure my shit was together before i'd do that, but i've never been past 110ft.for even in Hawaii its dark blue and black below!

Ya,it was January when i was Certified and my Casio watch with high and low temperature memory,the Sound was 46deg. 70ft down 43deg.,blue lips and ice cream headache,removing my mask and open my eye's to give the O.K sign was fucked,but the price was rite in Hawaii they wanted $300 for O/W,and the first time you looked up as you know cold water rushed down your neck to your balls in the wetsuit. I wasn't in to the dry suits B/C most leaked around the neck,in 88 i rented one for the weekend at the Oregon Coast and the first dive my tits were wet,so every dive i'd change tops but was not bad diving for cold water with 40ft visibility in big rock cliffs,short caves,and big Crabs.

In Hawaii i had two wetsuits one was a half suit,2 Aqualung 80ci.,3 steel 50ci.,2 BC packs,and one old pack with horse collar BC,8 Regulators and 3 gauge sets. If there was gear for sale i'd make a offer. Over the years i'd take non Certified dives out on Bug hunts in 30ft or less if they paid for beer and gas,and would not let my tanks go below 300psi,if it was empty the dive shop charged for tank inspection;Fuckers!

I fucking loved night diving in the reefs,you could fill the catch bag fast and the sun didn't beat the shit out of you.

When i moved back in 86 my dive bud gave me $1000.00 for all but my Mask,fins,2 ScubaPro Regs US Dive gauges witch i sold in 92.

Hell now they got 110ci. tanks,but if i go south to dive ever again i'll rent and go out on a fucking dive boat and let the dive master deal with all crap,get my dives in and hit the Beer and food!