How are you voting on Prop. No. 2 Parks Levy

Alpinfox

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This one would cost $0.19/$1000 assessed value.

That's $66.50/yr on a $350k home.

For that we get some new parks and maintenance of existing parks.

Why isn't maintenance of existing parks included in the regular budget? Isn't it the legislature's job to account for these sorts of things in the general budget?

Both this levy and the PPM levy mention that "taxes collected in 2009 would be limited to $2.60/$1000 assessed value". So if these DO get funded, we won't be paying more than $2.60. If that happens will other things have to be cut? If they DON'T get funded, will we be paying less than $2.60?

I don't have the list of items to be funded but the levy funds a large list of things and if you look at all of it I am pretty sure you'll find things you don't like, either concluding that it is too much to spend right now or because an "improved" facility means development of current open space or the creation of a special interest facility like the skateboard facility in Ballard's only park.

My wife, who has been active in trying to limit the size of the sportsfield project at Magnuson Park, attended meetings regarding this levy. At her request they added to the list some improvements to the waterfront at Magnuson Park and a sidewalk or bike path offering better bike/pedestrian access from Sand Point Way to the waterfront. She and her friends think that, on balance, it is worth voting for and I think it may well be better than voting no now and then seeing another proposal next year or the year after.