Map Display

AlpineMonkey

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

Do you intend to use the map in the field again? If so, lancegranite has your solution.

If you're not going to be using it anymore, Hugh has your solution. Glue it down to a backing board, have it matted in a complementing color, and frame it. Use an anti-glare coated glass to reduce reflections from your interior lighting.

You can buy some special stuff that has the consistency of silly putty. Just put a bit on each corner (and maybe the middle of each side for larger maps) then press it onto the wall. Works great. Available at stationery stores, i think. I forget what it is called.

Hugh has your solution. Glue it down to a backing board, have it matted in a complementing color, and frame it. Use an anti-glare coated glass to reduce reflections from your interior lighting.

This seems to be the best way to do it, but it can be spendy depending on the size of the map . I picked up a few inexpensive poster frames with plastic sheet instead of glass. You can easily cut the frame and plastic to size.

Trust me, it is the best way to do it. But I never said it was gonna be cheap.

Related anecdote: I work for a large, multi-national, engineering consulting and construction firm. We have all sorts of clients, and most of them recognize that to get the best talent, you have to pay a bit more. Some of our clients don't quite recognize that yet. For them, I have a short "checklist" of sorts that is framed and mounted on my office wall. It reads simply:

CHEAP

FAST

CORRECT

Choose two

:)

I saw a sweet map display in a colleague's office - the map was "laminated" but not in the way I usually think of. It looked like it was imbedded in some sort of resin, or something, that was adhered to a backing board that mounted to the wall. It looked really professional and a little out of the ordinary. It was not framed in the traditional way, nor covered in clear plastic all the way around like you see some posters - I can't explain it.

He said his neighbor, who owns a framing shop, did it for him and it is usually a couple of hundred dollars to mount in that way. He no longer works at the company or I would ask again. I tried to find it via google and came up with vinyl or lexan lamination (used at trades shows) as possibilities, but I cannot be sure that was it.

I think a pro shop would be able to come up with this, among other, attractive options.