palin doesn't read!

Gary_Yngve

Asked what newspapers and magazines she reads, Palin - a journalism major in college - could not name one publication.

"I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media," she said at first. Couric responded, "What, specifically?"

"Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years."

"Can you name a few?"

"I have a vast variety of source where we get our news," Palin said.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked what newspapers and magazines she reads, Palin - a journalism major in college - could not name one publication.

"I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media," she said at first. Couric responded, "What, specifically?"

"Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years."

"Can you name a few?"

"I have a vast variety of source where we get our news," Palin said.

BatBoySavestheday.jpg

off the top of my head:

marbury v madison

scopes v whoever (tennessee?)

brown v (kansas) board (of education)

roe v wade

bush v gore

recently there have been cases advocating legal rights for guantanamo detainees, reversing affirmative action in michigan i think, some shit about cheney..

i'd expect more from a politician, especially a vp wannabe, than an engineer

Even I can think of a couple, Tvash. I'm not sure why you're giving her a free pass. Especially since she so easily states that there are plenty she disagrees with, and then fails to come up with any.

For example, what was that eminent domain decision? Somebody vs. New London or something?

Another one is Gonzales v. Somebody -- ruling against state's rights to legislate medical marijuana

Gary, you disagree with Brown v Board of Education?? You disagree with roe v. wade? Weird.

It's also not such an easy question. We all know about Roe v. Wade, for example, but can anyone here articulate any of the court's arguments as to why it voted the way it did, or describe the limitations of the decision? Given that 40% of Washington voters don't know that 'member of the GOP' and 'Republican' mean the same thing, how many Americans could answer this same question? The answer is; not many.

Now, not being able to remember where you get your news from, that's another story.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

It's also not such an easy question. We all know about Roe v. Wade, for example, but can anyone here articulate any of the court's arguments as to why it voted the way it did, or describe the limitations of the decision? Given that 40% of Washington voters don't know that 'member of the GOP' and 'Republican' mean the same thing, how many Americans could answer this same question? The answer is; not many.

Now, not being able to remember where you get your news from, that's another story.

I agree with you that most americans probably couldn't answer this question intelligently. But, I would expect the potential VP of the United States to be better than "most people" in this regard. I notice Biden was able to answer the question intelligently, for example.

BTW, the more I listen to Biden, the more I like him. Is it just me? Or maybe he just seems so damn good when compared to the train-wreck that is Gov. Palin. :confused:

I agree with you that most americans probably couldn't answer this question intelligently. But, I would expect the potential VP of the United States to be better than "most people" in this regard. I notice Biden was able to answer the question intelligently, for example.

BTW, the more I listen to Biden, the more I like him. Is it just me? Or maybe he just seems so damn good when compared to the train-wreck that is Gov. Palin. :confused:

Biden is a class act all the way. An admirable family man (none of this cheating on your injured wife with a rich space alien bullshit), a straight shooter, and extremely experienced, and knowledgeable, and well educated. He's very well respected on both sides of the isle. I don't think Obama could have made a better choice.

The debate tonight will be a taste test between Veuve Clicquo and a Mickey's.

Of course, there are many Americans who love a Big Mouth.

Roe v. Wade is a difficult case to talk about because there were several opinions including concurrences and dissents. The opinions were not particularly well reasoned in many commentators opinion. That of course was not the question, I believe RR could easily have cited many of the Supremes opinions he did not agree with and he was neither a lawyer or a huge intellect Either of the Bush's also. Recent examples include the Shievo denial of cert., the Exxon case and the eminent domain for a private development. It seems that she has a congenital inability to cite anything that might be controversial. ie. NYT, WaPo too liberal, WSJ WaTimes to conservative.

I think she's just afraid to answer a question.

"Gov. Palin, do you like pepperoni on your pizza?"

"Well, charlie, I enjoy all sorts of pizza, of the type which I have seen all around our state, but I believe first and foremost, and in addition to the american people, who, and I believe, and John McCain has always said the American worker is our greatest natural resource, which is why we must not blink, Charlie, we must not blink when defending ourself against extremists who are HELL-BENT on attacking america and her allies, or in addition to that which I have seen to be true."

Nearly all supreme court decisions are similarly complex.

Yes, Palin should know more. My point was this: when you take a pot shot at someone, anyone, you should at least be able do what you claim they cannot; clearly not the case with Mr. Baby.

Palin should have at least had some knowledge of the Exxon ruling, considering that the accident took place in her state and involved oil, her 'area of expertise', according to John McCain.

We all know the Palin is a figurehead, a mascot. She's there to relate to the everyday folksie folks that McCain, a hyperwealthy attack dog, simply cannot. It's a formula that's worked for her very well in not-very-intellectual Alaska, a place where just not being drunk can land you a high paying job. A lot of voters feel the need to relate to their candidate on a personal level. I'd like to say that I don't, but this campaign is working in the opposite for me; the more I see McCain, the more I realize what a fucking complete and utter asshole he is. That shouldn't matter as much as it seems to.