Chinning Records

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gymnasts. I took this girl out climbing back in highschool. She never climbed a day in her life. She was a gymnasts, and a hell of a good one. SHe had trouble at first getting the hang of things but when she learned how to move on the rock she was ace. On here 4th time out she was climbing 5.12's at smith (on TR)...her and my midget buddy (see my post on "Little fingers Big fingers") grin.gif" border="0 . I felt pathetic. It tooks me years of training to climb 5.12's, and she was pulling 5.12's her 4th time out!!! LUckily she didn't have that great of apassion for climbing..or things could have got very embarassing for me when she starting to climb 5.14's her second week out. This kind of shit depresses me...I need a drink [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

How 'bout push up poker? I used to whoop up on everybody playing that game. You get a deck of cards, and you draw one, and you have to do that number of pushups, face cards=10 or 11, can't remember. You go all the way thru the deck. Round 2=twice the value of the card, and so on. You go til you have to drop out, last man (or woman) standing is the winner. I used to rip off thirty or forty or fifty at the end just to maintain my dominance. Come on Courtenay, I'm trying really hard to impress you here.

gymnasts take it hands down - John Gill, Alan Watts, Lynn Hill - all formally trained gymnasts and there are more

dancers (particularly those trained in ballet) come in a close second

and for those of us who may never make the one-arm pullup grade, I give you Judy, who spent a summer back in '83 helping out with the Leavenworth Alpine Guides just after Katie took over from Jim. Judy was British, a solid 5.11 leader even prior to the availability of Friends, and was known throughout Britain as "the no-pullup-lady" because she'd never (so she claimed) been able to perform even a single standard pullup! What was it that old guy kept telling the Karate Kid?...

Well I weigh 200# and I have yet to get a one-handed, now I'll have to go check my 2 handed number.

But I had a 90# friend who is a ballerina, no really I am serious, and she just walked up the wall on a 10b her first climb ever and kept getting better. And she complained that the ultratight climbing shoes were kinda loose. Her feet are actually shaped like a high performance slipper from all the years of wearing those ballet shoes. Maybe foot-binding should come back into vogue for getting those young climbers into their shoes???

rolleyes.gif" border="0

Thank God it's Friday

miker

[chubit]

yup, i second the ballet thing. my girlfriend did ballet for a while and she's picking up climbing pretty fast. she doesn't have the arm strength to pull up over roofs yet, but she balances her body very well and got the "climb with your feet" idea right away.

btw, what's the difference between a pullup and a chinup, anyway? rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: slothrop ]

quote:

Originally posted by slothrop:
btw, what's the difference between a pullup and a chinup, anyway?
rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: slothrop ]

A pullup is done with the palms facing away from you while on the bar. A chin up is done with palms facing towards you. I would say chin ups are a bit easier i.e. I can do more of those.

Now for the bonus round: "which way do the palms face for a jerk off?"

quote:

Originally posted by Courtenay:
NolanR wrote:

<< You go til you have to drop out, last man (or woman) standing is the winner. I used to rip off thirty or forty or fifty at the end just to maintain my dominance. Come on Courtenay, I'm trying really hard to impress you here. >>

Why?
wink.gif" border="0
No really, if you can do 50 wide grip pullups from full arm extension(i.e. not halfsies) at tempo of 2 seconds up and 2 down without a lot of momentum swinging, then I'm impressed. I like the card idea -- may try that with some of my clients!!
wink.gif" border="0

I think he speaks of push-ups, not pull-ups. Do you know anyone who can do 50 wide-grips at 2 secs up, 2 secs down? That is really really slow! I can do about thirty wide-grips with full extension, but that's cranking them out with a quick cadence. By the way, I never feel it in my lats. Am I supposed to? My shoulders and arms seem to be the first to fail.

NolanR wrote:

<< You go til you have to drop out, last man (or woman) standing is the winner. I used to rip off thirty or forty or fifty at the end just to maintain my dominance. Come on Courtenay, I'm trying really hard to impress you here. >>

Why? wink.gif" border="0 No really, if you can do 50 wide grip pullups from full arm extension(i.e. not halfsies) at tempo of 2 seconds up and 2 down without a lot of momentum swinging, then I'm impressed. I like the card idea -- may try that with some of my clients!! wink.gif" border="0

Jblakley wrote:

<< A pullup is done with the palms facing away from you while on the bar. A chin up is done with palms facing towards you. I would say chin ups are a bit easier i.e. I can do more of those. >>

Correct. Or what's known as pronated grip (palms facing away, as in pullups) and supinated grip (palms face toward you, as in chinups). The easiest grip, by far (i.e. most direct line of pull for the biceps) is the neutral (palms parallel) grip, though for direct application to climbing, you want to use about a shoulder width pronated (forward-facing) grip. Chins aren't QUITE as advantageous for climbing, but get you to the point where you can do more pullups.