[TR] Norrish Creek - Canyoneering Descent 9/10/2008

G-spotter

Trip: Norrish Creek - Canyoneering Descent

Date: 9/10/2008

Trip Report:

I had found out from a canyoneering friend that you can do the Norrish Creek Canyon (6 or 7km of the lower watershed) near Mission as a relatively easy descent - a couple of pool jumps and swims but no mandatory rappelling or downclimbing.

We do a lot of work in the watershed and I have done research for both my degrees there so doing this one was a no-brainer for us. My boss and I took the day off work yesterday and took the trip through the canyon in about 4.5 hours.

Beautiful scenery - tight slot canyons in granite, waterfalls, water-worn boulders, landslides, dark pools, bright pools, frogs, fish, minks (not minx ;) ) and long stretches of boulder, cobble and sandbar walking. Some old growth cedars too!

There is a lot of deep-water soloing type climbing potential in the canyon but a lot of it is mossy. Wearing approach shoes with the wetsuit means you can do some bouldering, though.

I'm definitely doing this one again next year.

184290.jpg

184289.jpg

184292.jpg

184294.jpg

184297.jpg

184298.jpg

184303.jpg

184306.jpg

Gear Notes:

Full wetsuit, approach shoes, helmet.

Waterproof camera (mine was "weatherproof" and after taking 47 pictures, turned into an expensive brick about 1/3 of the way through :( )

Approach Notes:

Two car shuttle. Leave one car at 3km and park other car at water treatment plan. Enter canyon at Rose Creek and follow downstream to Sally Creek. Exit along north bank of Sally Creek to pick up trail leading back up to road.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic