Finally. God Defined.

tvashtarkatena

By the way, while we're all enjoying a bowl of Alphabets;

a more apropos thought experiment would be to consider how the alphabet (and language) came to be in the first place.

Answer: It evolved in an iterative fashion over a long period of time.

Thanks for the example, Marc.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um, no. i'm simply stating a fact. some people really have no beliefs one way or the other. whether they have searched, and found nothing, or just don't care. so no, i am not putting them down just by saying they have no beliefs. i will not put someone down for not believeing, or for believing something i think doesn't make any sense, or whatever.

if you took that as an attack, i am sorry, but it was in no way. just pointing out a fact of life.

And I'm simply stating that you're a typical Christian moron who cannot grasp the beliefs of others, so you negate them. Standard 'Our Way or the Highway' (Low way, actually) Christian drivel from a genetically incurious, uninquisitive, incredibly conceited, and fortunately minority sector of humanity.

Want a 'fact'? You're ignorant. And don't give us the nice guy 'oh, sorry that you don't have any beliefs...that was very unchristlike of me to mention it' bullshit that reinforces your sense of piety. You're a fucking prick, too.

I happen to think your cultish believes are ridiculous, but I don't reduce folks like yourself to the level of an animal without any, or assume that you just don't care enough to look. My friends have some kooky ideas, too, but they're important to them so who am I to mess with that? What I object about cunts like you is that you proscribe your fucked up beliefs for all of humanity. That's where I draw the line.

I have plenty of Christian friends; the tolerant kind. They know and accept that I'm a ranting atheist, as they would accept that someone is Hindu, Buhddist, or Raelian (sp?). And I don't rail against them, because it's not the belief in God I object to, its the belief that there is only one truth on the matter and that everyone needs to subscribe to it. And they object to your brand of cultism every bit as much as I do.

wow! who is intolerant of who? i have some close friends who are athiests who have told me exactly what they think of my beliefs, and i have told them what i believe, and never have they responded with such hate! i also have good friends, my closest climbing partner in fact, who have some VERY different beliefs than I do. I do not put them down, I do not make them feel small, I do not distance myself from them.

I have read many of your post ttk, and from them i can see that it is not I who am the intolerant one. you seem to pick on, and lash out at anyone who thinks differently from you in any area at all, not just on religion.

if you want to have an intelligent conversation, without the put downs and the name calling, let me know. I will however, no longer respond to, or let myself be provoked by, your hate filled, intolerant posts.

There are many other people on this forum who disagree deeply with my beliefs, and that is there right. However, there are only a few who respond with the intolerant language you use, and none (that i have read yet) who respond to anything with the language, and outright hate you do.

dave

it IS kinda annoying having to defend your belief that there aren't magical invisible people in the sky - that said, ole'tvash here is kinda reminding me of meself in me teen years, back before i came to grips w/ the fact i didn't give a shit what other folks thought about almighty bog :)

the invisible guy in the sky folks are harder to ignore when they want to set social policies for the rest of us though based on their fantasies

it IS kinda annoying having to defend your belief that they're aren't magical invisible people in the sky - that said, ole'tvash here is kinda reminding me of meself in me teen years, back before i came to grips w/ the fact i didn't give a shit what other folks thought about almighty bog :)

the invisible guy in the sky folks are harder to ignore when they want to set social policies for the rest of us though based on their fantasies

Almost as annoying as having to explain how little piles of goo turned into beings capable of debating such a topic. However base and pointless it is.

Only if he didn't grant you free will I would reckon.

what if i didn't want free will? i didn't have a choice in that matter, eh?

btw, i'm just having fun here and don't seek to convert you or (truly) ridicule you - believe what you want and i will too, let's just agree also to leave the genies and the sprites n' pixies n' tooth-faires out of the law - deal?

The Christian God is basically a Macy's Day Parade version of a human father, but one who uses parenting techniques from 2000 years ago. Like a modern father, he wants the best for his kids, but, in the end, they do what they want. Modern fathers don't fill the basement with gasoline, light it on fire, and throw the kid down there if the kid doesn't wind up loving him in the end, however. in other words, he's your basic psychopath, although 2000 years ago, if you read the Old Testemant, it seems like that was standard operating procedure

not everyone who claims to be "christian" is following Christ. If they are not displaying the qualities of Christ, they are not his true followers.

The Bible says that others will know us by our love. If you meet someone who claims to be a christian, but treats others poorly, or puts people down because of their beliefs, etc.. then that person is not understanding what following Christ is all about.

A follower of Christ will live by this:

One of the Pharisees tested Jesus with a question, "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" (Matthew 22:36 NIV). Jesus replied, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:37-40 NIV).

It is sad to me, but a majority of the people I have talked to who don't belive in God have been turned away from christianity because of something a "christian" had said or done. There are many people out there who claim to be christians who are doing more harm than good. People are getting turned away from God on a regular basis because of the hypocrisy in the church. I know many people who claim to be christians, but yet when you see them in their daily lives, you would never believe it!

If any of you have been hurt, put down, or treated poorly by a "christian" in any way, I am deeply sorry for that. Just remember, not all people who profess Christ are that way. Just as not all Atheists put down christians and bash us every chance they get. I know some very nice Atheists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and many others who I respect, and respect me. I want to return the favor.

not everyone who claims to be "christian" is following Christ. If they are not displaying the qualities of Christ, they are not his true followers.

The Bible says that others will know us by our love. If you meet someone who claims to be a christian, but treats others poorly, or puts people down because of their beliefs, etc.. then that person is not understanding what following Christ is all about.

A follower of Christ will live by this:

One of the Pharisees tested Jesus with a question, "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" (Matthew 22:36 NIV). Jesus replied, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:37-40 NIV).

you seem to have the best of intentions, but history is littered w/ carnage of those who would define "true followers," no? them cranky muslims are fucking super-nuts on that issue!

also, and this is just a persnickety observation, doesn't it seem wierd that god would want us to love HIM more than EACH OTHER?

You are right. Lots of wars and horrible carnage over thousands of years due to "Gods Will". Some wars are unavoidable I believe, like when your country is attacked, or is under imminent threat of attack even. But not to try and force your religious or political beliefs on others.

I think it is more than ok with me to worship God, and love him more than anyone. After all, if it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be anyone else to love!