Leavenworth: Saber straight up?

JulieH

Hey all,

Climbing on Castle last week - I started out on Saber (I think!), but the pic in the guidebook shows the FA party veering left on a ramp, about halfway up the main corner.

Being a sucker for corners, I stayed in the corner, up through a notch in an overhang (with a ring piton in the notch), then avoided some really loose steep flakes by stepping far right on a ramp that leaned down left. I belayed above that point, then my partner ran it to the top easy ground.

Seemed to me the moves at the top of the corner, then through the notch, were several notches harder than 5.5 - thin feet, awkward locks. The rock was pretty clean (even a bit polished), and chalked in places. So, clearly it gets climbed. But - what was it? The guidebook only lists two routes to the right of Saber - a 5.8+ buttress (ie, not a corner), and an under-described 5.9.

So, what did I climb? Grade consensus?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this for Cat Burglar ... definitely not it.

http://www.pbase.com/timr/image/91777578

Cat Burglar is also shown as staying to the left of Saber, in the guidebook topo/picture, and the description doesn't match. The most obvious feature to describe, in a route description, would be the huge left-facing corner.

Nope, not 5.4, sorry. I'm a Gunks local, have climbed a bunch in Josh and Tahquitz, so I'm no softy nor a stranger to a sandbag. Also climbed a couple of other pitches in Leavenworth, and ... nope, not 5.4.

• 2 weeks later...