Need Parka Advice

jmo

Hummm.....never would have thought of layering Puff parkas. Great idea, thanks! Walking out the other day I found my partner's puff parka laying on the trail. Of course I picked it up and soldiered on. But a couple hrs later I was pleased to lay down and take a nap with my puff on and his wrappd around my legs. Worked well for a nap in 15 degree weather.

While I have a heavier NF Baltoro (similar to a DAS) that I have used in Alaska...it does have to be really miserable out to be able to climb in it. At those temps I really don't want to be out. Never would have thought of it till Gene's comment but two puffs don't weight much and would be a better option, for several reasons I think. I also have a puff pull over that I may try in a cold weather layering system with a a parka. Puff pants would be a good addition for my winter system (great for a quick warm nap) just haven't done it yet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patagonia micro puff synthetic parka. Well under $100 new on feebay if you look around. Most of the guys I have climbed with in the last few years have been using one instead of a DAS...both in Canada in winter and here locally.

Built to layer over your gear and a helmet I liked my first one so much I bought a second one size down to use in less extreme conditions. They actually are very light, pack small and offer a good level of insulation.

When you say parka, are you talking about this ? Or is there an older model billed "parka"?

That is the one my partners and I have been using. Sorry about the name confusion. Easy to find on ebay, new, with tags. I bought one a year ago (last year's model, with little change) and one this summer (newest versions) for right at or under $100 each.

Currently I think I saw two on bid. I did one on bid and the more expensive at a buy it now price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-NEVER-WORN-Patagonia-Micro-Puff-Hooded-Jacket-L_W0QQitemZ300276956573QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Outerwear?hash=item300276956573&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

As part of a layering system they are warm enough for Rainier in winter, Denali in late May.

Many guys are using them all winter in Canada...doesn't get much colder than the icefields. Although it isn't a "big" jacket, it isn't something I'd normally take on Rainier after April....as it is too warm imo, till Sept or so.