NE Butttress of Johannesberg.

Tom_Sjolseth

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can't find one, i'd recommend soloing the route - the only sketch part is the shitty chimney, but you'll need to have a rope for the raps on the escape anyhow, and you can just skip the chimney by rapping into the gully nearby it

wish i could go - it's a climb worth repeating every year, no doubt! don't miss the fantastic bivy on the slabs just beside the glacier, just above the chimney!

I wouldn't recommend soling it unless you are pretty comfortable with soling big routes. I soloed it, without a rope, at a time when I was regularly soling mountain climbs throughout the region. This one felt like more than I should have bitten off. A friend of mine, who was doing many of the same climbs solo, felt the same way.

I wouldn't recommend soling it unless you are pretty comfortable with soling big routes. I soloed it, without a rope, at a time when I was regularly soling mountain climbs throughout the region. This one felt like more than I should have bitten off. A friend of mine, who was doing many of the same climbs solo, felt the same way.

which part did you find the most spooky matt?

There were lots of things I found scary about it, but mostly it was just the fact that there seemed to come one after another something where I told myself I didn't want to downclimb what I just did. Right off the ground I stepped over a moat onto some sandy rock where a slip wouldda sent me a hundred feet under the snowpack, somewhere higher up I climbed heather using an ice axe like an ice tool for a couple hundred feet, I remember some rock climbing that seemed damn scary for 4th class to me. It was a relief to get to the snow arete!

I don't think the east route was then "standard." My plan had been to traverse over the west summit and then down, but instead I descended the south face more or less directly from the summit. That was quite a shattered mess, and then I circled around the west side of the peak and descended the steepest woods I've ever seen -- there were copious chances to kill myself right until I stumbled upon the River.

We summitted, but not by the route we wanted to. We had very wet brush coming down from the berm into Cascade River, and the ground was saturated, so we opted to climb the CJ Couloir to the E Ridge. Johannesberg gets a bad reputation, probably because it's intimidating to look at from the CP parking lot, but in all actuality it's really not that bad. I was able to ascend and descend the E Ridge without a rope. Routefinding was not that bad, just stay in exposed class 3 gulleys systems until the false summit, then stay below the crest on climber's left (class 3 with short sections of class 4).

Rob turned out to be a great partner on this outing. He should have a TR up soon.