Harsh accident comments

danhelmstadter

Toolin around online I came across this article with attached comments. --

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-512730/British-doctor-dies-260ft-snowboard-plunge-French-alps.html

Go to the bottom of the article and click on "view all"

Some of the comments are pretty harsh, if not brutal. Kinda pisses me off people don't have more respect. Sounds like he may have stepped out of bounds, but still - his family probably read those comments.

Example -- "Just another Brit behaving like an idiot. When will they learn?

- Diana, Geneva, 7/2/2008 1:19"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, and some are pretty damn disrespectful.

It is so easy to highlight mistakes with 20/20 hindsight - sitting in an armchair. I've always thought the line between saftey and really getting stuff done in the hills is very thin. Not to sound corny or anything, but I see fellow climbers/skiers as brothers, we all take risks, some guides/pros out there are "masters" and really know what the fucks up - while still slaying it everyday. Others have to go through the learning process to get there -- which means mistakes - most of us do make mistakes...

In the alpine, there is always more luck than is realized, often admitted, and frequently, deserved.

While there is no way to completely remove all objective hazards, experience can go a long ways toward mitigating those hazards.

My only real point here is that "going for it because it is mostly luck anyway" is hopefully NOT what Decristo is advocating.

some survive through skill, some survive through luck, it's differentiating between the two that is difficult.

I suppose the mofos I had in mind are fools consistantly slaying steep stuff in winter on a rocky mountain continental snowpack.

But anyway, I started the thread cause some of those disrespectful comments about that british doctors death kinda pissed me off. I suppose you can exuse someone outside of the climbing community -- and that is unknown in the case of the british doctor, - it just tweaks me when climbers talk shit about another climbers bad descision/bad luck whateva, show some respect, cause it might be you broken and bleeding on a rockpile somewhere -- but that's what can happen to all of us - and if it can't happen to you - your either a fool, or a weak sauce climber.

Edited by danhelmstadter