ChiComm Liars

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, for an "appetizer". :laf:

I'm talking about the main course. And I prefer ukrains'ka z percem, but that's me.

My father in law detests Polish vodka for some reason, so we never buy it. Chopin is supposed to be quite good, and I liked it the time I tried it. Do you buy it locally, or have to bring "the good stuff" over when you visit Poland?

I typically buy Chopin. I don't go over often enough to bring back anything. Besides, I tend to save my two-bottle customs limit for cognac and armagnac I picked up in the duty-free. The state-owned liquor stores here suck donkey dick and all stock the same mass-produced shite. I miss the good specialty stores in California...

I'm talking about the main course. And I prefer ukrains'ka z percem, but that's me.

My father in law detests Polish vodka for some reason, so we never buy it. Chopin is supposed to be quite good, and I liked it the time I tried it. Do you buy it locally, or have to bring "the good stuff" over when you visit Poland?

I typically buy Chopin. I don't go over often enough to bring back anything. Besides, I tend to save my two-bottle customs limit for cognac and armagnac I picked up in the duty-free. The state-owned liquor stores here suck donkey dick and all stock the same mass-produced shite. I miss the good specialty stores in California...

Amen to that, bratyku. I got a taste for Armenian cognac, and they don't have shit here. :-( The stores in Cali, OTOH...

My favs are Zubrowka and Luksusowa but I can't really find them easily in EWash.

There is a really good Fraser River Canadian Vodka, though can't recall the name off hand.

My favs are Zubrowka and Luksusowa but I can't really find them easily in EWash.

There is a really good Fraser River Canadian Vodka, though can't recall the name off hand.

I bought the Belvedere once... my recollection was that the bottle was pretty, but the contents not quite so impressive.

You can't get proper Zubrowka here anyway... something about the grass in the bottle being a plant, therefore you can't bring it in. Of course how something that's been soaking in vodka for months would harbor anything living is beyond me. Maybe I just need to harvest some bison grass seeds next time I'm visiting Poland, plant them in my garden and then I can have all the Zubrowka I want. BTW, if you like Zubrowka, try mixing it with apple juice... makes for a fantastic drink we Poles call the "szarlotka" (loosely translates to "apple pie").

Luksusowa is OK. I have some bad experiences with Luksusowa from my college years, so I keep away from it. Chopin is much nicer. And yeah, KKK, Belvedere has a pretty bottle but the contents aren't as good as they should be.

Hey, I can talk about wine... the cellar is shrinking a little, but there's still ~300 bottles there. Mostly new-world Pinot.

HTF do you hang on to 300 bottles of wine??? One time, I bought 8 cases and all I did was have all my friends over and get drunk every night for about a month. It went by fast... :(

You can't get proper Zubrowka here anyway... something about the grass in the bottle being a plant, therefore you can't bring it in. Of course how something that's been soaking in vodka for months would harbor anything living is beyond me. Maybe I just need to harvest some bison grass seeds next time I'm visiting Poland, plant them in my garden and then I can have all the Zubrowka I want. BTW, if you like Zubrowka, try mixing it with apple juice... makes for a fantastic drink we Poles call the "szarlotka" (loosely translates to "apple pie").

Luksusowa is OK. I have some bad experiences with Luksusowa from my college years, so I keep away from it. Chopin is much nicer. And yeah, KKK, Belvedere has a pretty bottle but the contents aren't as good as they should be.

Chopin is very good but $$$.

I grew up with parents that enjoyed wines - mostly whites and some reds, so I can definitely suck down a bottle of good vino.

Hey, I can talk about wine... the cellar is shrinking a little, but there's still ~300 bottles there. Mostly new-world Pinot.

HTF do you hang on to 300 bottles of wine??? One time, I bought 8 cases and all I did was have all my friends over and get drunk every night for about a month. It went by fast... :(

Well, I'm married now and have a newborn, so no having friends over for a while... But next time I'm out at Tieton I'll bring a few bottles and ping you, and you can come over and help me out. Also, for years I was a member of 11 wine clubs, so I could drink two bottles of wine a week and watch my cellar grow. Finally, lots of my friends are wine drinkers too, so they often brought bottles. Makes it hard to drink through your stash when you're busy drinking theirs.

mutually exclusive

dry reds are where it's at

You haven't had much in the way of Grand Cru white Burgundies, have you? There's a reason why they're the world's most expensive wines. I haven't had any of the $1000-2000/bottle wines (those are prices at release), but a $300 was a life-changing experience.

Or heck, try something by Didier Daguenau -- all the guy makes is Sauvignon Blanc, which is generally an easy-drinking white, but his wines are simply amazing.

Also, let me guess -- Washington dry reds is your poison?

Also, let me guess -- Washington dry reds is your poison?

How'dja know? Cuz I'm married with kids, too? :laf:

Nah, just basing this on where you live and the occasional hints that you're sitting around with a glass of cab.

There's some good Syrah in this state (Spring Valley, McCrea, DeLille, Isenhower to name a few), but the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot are uniformly disappointing. They all taste about the same and cost too much.

McCrea is probably my favorite. They make some excellent reds from varietals most people haven't heard of. Their Mourvedre and Counoise are both very tasty, as is their Viognier.

I tend to really like the stuff that's coming out of the new Red Mountain AVA (Fidelitas, Kiona, Kestrel, etc.) and of course the stuff that's been coming out of the Walla Walla Valley for some time now (Leonetti, Three Rivers, Canoe Ridge, Glen Fiona, etc.). Jus' sayin'...