New Ingalls Rap Station

shaoleung

Disclaimer: I have no plans to do this... but...

Here we go...

When descending Ingalls down the South Ridge with 2 people, you need 2 ropes. The rap anchors from the summit and the second rap station are on honkin'1/2" bolts and 40kN+ hangers. The first rap is done with 1 rope. The second rap goes down to the big ledge and is about 35m. Two ropes needed for this leg.

Alternatively, many people apparently rap down to the thinner ledge about 10m or so above the big one. If you walk the ledge East you can find some webbing wrapped through some nasty-thin features. A safer alt if you're comfy downclimbing is to do a descending lead. Or... I have heard you can find a ledge system toward the western side and scramble down.

While there are options, given that the current anchors are so great, why not put an intermediate rap station between the 2nd station and the big ledge?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you asking someone else to do this? Why not just do it yourself?

No. I would do it myself but not before gleaning some response from the climbing community. It's in a wilderness area and while one could argue there's good reason for another rap station... there are alternatives.

Just want to know what people think about the idea.

I think I climbed it, as a group of 3 on one rope, and we had no problems rapping off with one rope. Has something changed since 2004?

Nothing has changed as far as I know. Did you use the "natural anchors" for the second rap? If so... you have more balls than I.

I think I climbed it, as a group of 3 on one rope, and we had no problems rapping off with one rope. Has something changed since 2004?

Nothing has changed as far as I know. Did you use the "natural anchors" for the second rap? If so... you have more balls than I.

Must have; I'll ask my partner. If I didn't add webbing, then it was probably good to go.