NW Butt Mt Stuart????

pu

Who here has done the NW Butt of Mt Stuart. Looks like it might be a good way to variate the W ridge. Looking for beta/suggestions. Once topping out on the butt is a rope needed to gain the W ridge route?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NW Butt. The rocky protrusion between Razorback ridge and goat pass. 5.9 Traverse??

At the top of the slab is a small headwall of overhanging choss. The route as Becky describes it, goes left on a few moves of 5.9 right below the headwall. There are probably a million alternative routes but I haven't heard of them.

Wear a helmet and be very careful about loose rock.

NW Butt. The rocky protrusion between Razorback ridge and goat pass. 5.9 Traverse??

At the top of the slab is a small headwall of overhanging choss. The route as Becky describes it, goes left on a few moves of 5.9 right below the headwall. There are probably a million alternative routes but I haven't heard of them.

Wear a helmet and be very careful about loose rock.

Sorry. I checked the Becky guide and my memory is fading. It makes no mention of 5.9.

However, my memory is not so bad as to make up the loose rocks I encountered while beating feet down it.

I soloed NW Buttress variation from Goat pass. pg 278-279 in Becky guide. There was only one place where it was technical, about 5.2-5.4.(just a couple of moves) After it joins the West ridge there's one other tech crux (5.6-5.7). Don't remember that much looseness on the route.

I had intended to do the West ridge but mistakenly started at Goat Pass. I followed the crest most of the way, not sure where I went in the Becky photo. The upper crux on the West ridge had 2 ways to go, one 50' slab in a left facing corner (5.6-5.7), or one short steep step, about 2 or 3 moves (5/7?) Neither very exposed.