Serratus Genie replacement

Ade

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, check out the MEC Alpinelite 30.

It is supposed to be MEC's replacement for the Genie after they closed down Serratus. I haven't used it (I bought a new Genie to replace my dead one just before they ran out) but have seen it in the store and they look as light and compressible as the Genie, but actually more useful - real side compression straps, and more comfortable shoulder straps. I'll buy one when my second Genie dies. At $54, you can't go wrong.

I own the smaller version of the Cierzo. It has worked well as a climbing daypack. I had to add a compression shock cord but other than that it has had no issues. It only weights ~6 oz but has been really durable and carries well considering it lacks any padding. No lid, but it has plenty of capacity for an 18L pack.

Ade: you might be a little tall for the cierzo... hard to say. Definitely worth a look. I've got ~20 days on mine and so far no complaints expect they only give you one ice axe velcro strap (WTF?). Also if the route has more than a few pitches of chimney and/or hauling I would reach for my valdez.