climbing partners vs. free guide service

hikerwa

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hikerwa:

Sounds as if you have some reluctant folks who are hesitant to do their share of the work. A suggestion would be to "get after them" a little and let them know what's expected of a "partner".

Newbies:

As a fellow newbie I can confirm feeling like doing nothing is the safest thing to do to aviod looking like a moron. It is also a good way to appear lazy and uninterested to your partner especially if they don't know you from previous meetings.

A few tips on how not to look like a client and piss off your more experienced partner: You should offer to drive, carry gear on the approach if you won't be leading, try have enough snacks and water for your "partner" and always bring TP. Be on time, know exactly where and when you are meeting and if you're not sure, ask. Afterwards, offer to buy lunch or dinner.

Remember Bronco's climbing with mentors rule # 2: It is a privelidge to climb with someone willing to teach you how and definetly not a privelidge to climb with a newbie.

• 2 weeks later...

More advice for newbies when climbing with righteous mentors:

Don't drop mentors gear and if you do, replace it with your own.

Be careful you don't kick any rocks off the belay ledge if you do yell "ROCK"!

Don't stand on the end of the rap rope while your pard is throwing it off.

Jesus this thread could get interesting. How many times have I heard "LET'S go climbing my good friend" only to find out they want you to go just to lead the crux. Gets tiring after a while. Never a mention of how you're doing. I've done my share of guiding and at least you kow what you're getting yourself into. (to my good friends-I'm not referring to you-so stop getting pissed)

I appreciate your honesty hikerwa.

I have been planning to come out to the NW for an outward bound course which has been cancelled.

Since I got the news I have still continued my plans to come out and have been asking for suggestions of places to climb.

I am tentatively planning to do some mountaineering with an acquantance who guides on Ranier. I have also asked others in this forum for suggestions on finding someone "safe" to climb with (other than hiring a guide). I have made it very clear that I am a beginner.

I appreciate all who have helped me get into climbing thus far, all who have offered suggestions and advice in various ways. I do all I can to help these people out.

as a beginner it can be easy to cross that fine line of asking for a climbing partner vs a guide. You want to "act" as if you know whats going on...then you realize you dont. I guess its all about being upfront and honest from the getgo.

For me, even though I know guides are very dedicated and usually passionate about what they do, I somehow appreciate the gift of passion that one shares without the exchange of money more.

I will definately keep this post in the back of my mind when I hook up with someone more experienced, who is not getting paid and make sure I am doing my share and then some.

Thanks for the toughts!

be well,

be safe,

carolyn

[This message has been edited by carolyn (edited 08-02-2001).]

right on, carolyn, more power to ya. and bronco, about rule #2--don't be so hard on yourself just because you're new to the mountains. anyone who thinks its not a priveledge to climb needs to take a step back. a good attitude can make up for alot of experience. i always like climbing with beginners--i always like climbing anytime--and if you ever want to get out just drop me a line. cheers,

Jay

Cpt Caveman...if you dont mind me addressing a response you had to another one of my posts (seems to fit in better here)...

You are correct that if at all possible I would like to find a climbing partner during my stay in the NW to guide me in the mountains.

I have a lot of jumbled thoughts on this , so I hope I can make sense. smile.gif

My understanding is that there are a couple of ways to learn about the mountains. You can take a traditional course or learn from others and on your own the "hard knock" way. Im guessing I am not the only one who has a budget and cant afford the cost of a guiding service. Therefore I must look to others who have the desire to teach their passion of the mountains. Im fully aware that NOT everyone WANTS to do that. I respect you for knowing where you stand on the issue- Knowing that you dont want to put yourself in a situation where you have to "teach" people while you are out trying to enjoy a climb. I have respect for people who set limits as much as I do for people who will reach out and help others.

I guess at times I wonder though...(and I started a post about this)how others got their start? We all started out as beginners. We all required a mentor, a teacher, a supporter.

At times I feel like my biggest hurdle in my desire to climb isnt the fact that there are no mountians in the midwest...its that often new folks are discouraged to pursue their goals because there is some secret knowledge that is unattainable to them.

I could be way off base here, but I think the most important secret in climbing is a positive attitude, persistance, and desire to reach a goal.

Again, I respect your thoughts , decisions, and setting of limits. I just wanted to share my side of things as someone new in the community.

and Dr. Jay....

thank you for your encouraging words.

be well,

be safe,

carolyn

Exactly Carolyn,

I was not meaning to say anything other than good luck with some insight as well. I learned from experienced people and a mixture of trial and error (mostly this one). I guess finding willing people is the hardest part wink.gif A good attitude is the best thing. Have fun when you get here.

Carolyn

Find someone else who knows pretty much nothing either and both of you push forwards slowly learning as you go along. i was much more willing to mentor when I didn't have as much experience!!!! tongue.gif

Quite frankly i think you learn more and faster when neither one of you knows what to do because you question everything then. with a mentor you usually just accept what they do then later on you go to do it and someone asks why you are doing it that way and you don't know why!!!

I have been extremely lucky to climb with very knowledgeble semi retired mountain guides. I have climbed with several people who have been climbing for 20 or more years and have been all over the world and enjoy passing on experience to a young upstart. I have also enjoyed a mostly trial and error route to rock climbing.

I think that a mixture of all of the above have let me learn a great deal more than I would have learned by taking a course. I have used many techniques of glacier travel and rescue on the mountains in real situations.

I think that any way that a person learns is good as long as it's with someone who knows better and is safe and fun!

just my nickel.