For Feck

Couloir

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting that. :tup: At least I haven't seen that one before.

Trees are really cool structures. This video shows some of the best modern techniques for climbing them. I find myself continually having to explain to people that spurs are tools for killing trees and if you want to climb one either for pruning or recreation it's completely irresponsible and unethical to spike up a tree.

I was just looking at a book last week on champion trees of Washington. It's a cool book, but I believe out of print.

Back a few years ago I saw a presentation on climbing Sequoias in California. Some of the trees were really old (thousands of years). You could climb to the top and rappel hundreds of feet into a large column of decay then crawl out some lateral limbs. That was some cool stuff.

You have to be on the lookout for the man, but back a number of years ago some friends and I climbed a 250' or so fir tree in Saint Edwards Park. We hung out on top drank a beer then rapped to the ground. Tons of fun. :tup:

BTW if you don't know proper tree climbing techniques either take the time to learn, or you can get a ride in a crane down at the Wind River area south of Mount Adams.

Canopy crane

craneparts.jpg

I took a ride in this thing back a few years ago. It's cool, and you can see a lot of features of the upper tree canopy. :tup:

Yes you can. I believe if you play with the web site you can find a contact to set things up with.

I got a ride as a birthday present a number of years ago. They use the device to study characteristics of the upper canopy and habitat zones for different animals and birds. Lichen and moss have their habitat zones up high.

It is really cool :tup: