Banff/Jasper Summer Ice?

PLC

My wife and I are headed to Banff for our 10th anniversary in August and I was wondering if there's any accessible (as in daytrip) ice climbing in Jasper, like in the Columbia Ice Field. I'm looking for something similar to climbing on the seracs at Mt. Baker.

From the pictures I've seen online, it looks pretty flat, at least near the road.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there are any climable seracs on the Columbia glacier, but you may be able to find something on the glacier below the north face bowl of Andromeda...but I think you will find it is a little more active than you would want! Same with the glacier coming down off the north side of Atha'B - nothing like the benign serac fields of Baker, but I could be wrong.

If you are into some easy ice, then try NF of Atha'B or Skyladder on Andromeda.

if the NF of atha is too much of a day, then you might want to give silverhorn on athab a look. Quite a bit easier but still a very good line.

If you walk up the columbia glacier, you should be able to find a crevasse to TR but no stable icefall (contradiction in terms?) exists. The colman icefall is quite an strange beast.

• 2 weeks later...