what is the best loop backpacking trip in WA?

ktbaker

Hello,

I am new to the area. I have done some backpacking in the alpine lake wilderness area, however I was wondering where there are some good backpacking hikes in the North Cascades. I am interested in loop backpacking 30-40 miles. I would also like to have great views....(in other words I don't want to waste my time)....

does anyone have an opinion to the absolute best backpacking trips in the north cascades?

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on whether you want technical and off trail travel. The Pickets are incredible, but are not easy to navigate and probably require some climbing gear and knowledge of its use. Years ago, my family did a nice one-way hike in the Glacier Peak wilderness area, called Fire Mtn-Meadow Mtn, I think. The Olympic Peninsula has some great trail systems too.

As Skeezix noted: Hannegan Pass-Copper Ridge-Whatcom Pass-back to Hannegan Pass via the Chilliwack River trail. Ridiculously beautiful. You can find details on the trip in the book "Don't Waste Your Time in the North Cascades". Makes a great 4-5 day trip.

I'll second that notion. A friend and I did this loop (starting at Ruth Creek trailhead) in mid-July of '07. As far as the Rangers knew we were the first to do the whole loop that year, and it showed. Aside from the good deal of snow left on Copper Ridge (and everywhere else) the bushwhacking down on the Chilliwack was BRUTAL. Can't see the trail except what is directly under your feet, stinging nettle, devil's club, slide alder, downed trees (bad winter). Nasty nasty nasty.

We did the loop with 3 nights. 4 is recommended (especially if conditions are bad, making travel slow). The 15 miles out on the last day just about killed me.

Scenery (especially from Copper Ridge) is outstanding.

• 1 month later...

This might be a dated post, but just for kicks and archival information.

A friend and I did the Devils Pass Loop out of the Copper Canyon TH just east of Ross Lake (off Hwy 20). It's in the Paysaten Wilderness area, no permits required. The loop we did was 41 miles and depending on how you like it, you could also extend it farther north along the PCT and see more of Ross Lake. On Labor Day weekend, we saw two groups the entire trip (excluding the walk down Ross Lake) and only one of those groups was making the same trip. We had super sweet views west to the eastern part of North Cascades, plus some great scrambling and views to the North and of the hill country to the east. Having solitude was probably the nicest part though...

Edited by ropegoat

• 3 weeks later...