[TR] Mt Goode (,dude) - - The Olde Goode One 7/13/2008

ivan

Trip: Mt Goode (,dude) - - The Olde Goode One

Date: 7/13/2008

Trip Report:

rare olde times w/ the honorable and odd joshk on the north fork of bridge creek in recent days

zombie land tour to make it to the pct

15 miles - rumor-mongering and ruminating - binge and purging on tori amos - 30 degrees at the parking lot at 6 a.m. - drifting, drifting, drifting through darrington and the Big Beyond

ah, trail!

Mount_Goode_1.jpg

ah, more trail - why was i ever tempted to wade through unwacked hell-swamps?

Mount_Goode_2.jpg

a bucholic beaten path over turbulent waters - no shortage of opportunities for the suicidial to scratch that itch along the way - bridge creek would be an awfully loud damn place to spend eternity though

Mount_Goode_3.jpg

proceeding up the north fork - meadows of all the flowers i know - the ones that are queen anne's lace and the ones that aren't - mamloose (sp?) ridge leads toward goode

Mount_Goode_4.jpg

all my partners are obsessed w/ fucking flowers

Mount_Goode_5.jpg

bivouac on a great big boulder at 3800 feet - bear signs everywhere - a defensible position if only i could keep my eyes open - the parkland and alpine defenses of goode's ne buttress lie above us

Mount_Goode_6.jpg

no sleep in days - the Big Poo grips poore josh - i sleep serenely while he spends hours in hell - black bears dance through my dreams and i know such lovely things

Mount_Goode_7.jpg

day 2 - a black day for the pimp squad's californicated member - his bowels mend - heat, upon heat, upon heat as the sun glowers upon us - logan forsaken - resolution to put a camp at 5900 on goode instead - we set off to wade the creek at 3800 feet - an expensive lesson is learned - i am sworn to a terrible and humorous secret

Mount_Goode_8.jpg

we ascend a snow finger to a creek that rises to the buttress soaring down from stormking - we hop a deadly moat onto rock - nervous memories and bad flashbacks of jo'burg turn to delight when we only have to do the vertical-'swack-boogie for a mere 5 minutes - we contour, sometimes playfully, sometimes petulantly, across snowfields - i do an alpine rendition of all along the watchtower before logan, who could clearly give a shit

Mount_Goode_9.jpg

we pull into the motel 6 at 5900 feet - the hour passes that sweet stroke just a few minutes past 4 as we undertake a take-no-prisoners deforestation campaign in establishing newe pimpe towne - sitting on a rock, catching our breath, we grow oddly affixed on the summit-shadows of stormking on the glacier - days later, i will have to erase a half gig of pictures of all the same thing :)

Mount_Goode_91.jpg

newe pimpe towne on the only flat piece of real estate in sight

Mount_Goode_92.jpg

the whiskey-a-goode-goode hour, brought to you by your goode friends up in canadia and available at the reasonable rate of 5 bucks a hip-flask :brew:

Mount_Goode_93.jpg

day 3 and the morning comes and we're off and traversing across the goode glacier just 500 feet or so to the buttress - the soft snow works well w/ josh's tennis shoes - did we mention why josh is in such a brazenly hare-brained bare setup?

Mount_Goode_94.jpg

the actual toe of the buttress from the western side - beta said to go all the way around but they're welcome to a cold frosty glass of shut the fuck up as that's oh-so-more-contorted - a slight moat is easily turned to climbing at the actual base of the butt just below a steep snow finger

Mount_Goode_95.jpg

a long, relatively disinteresting rock-fest begins - the easiest part of the whole experience for sure - heard some shit like skye skiied this shit over here?

Mount_Goode_96.jpg

the cooler section...

Mount_Goode_97.jpg

precise footwork is imperative on such highly technical 4th class pimpe-grounde

Mount_Goode_98.jpg

fear n' loathing on the summit - jo'burger and buckner and forbidden and a hundred hard-on fantasies harken beyond

Mount_Goode_99.jpg

do you have any hand-lotion, dude?

Mount_Goode_991.jpg

meow

Mount_Goode_992.jpg

the easiest part of the descent done w/, we enter into helle as we must traverse all the way back to the storm-king/goode col via steeeepe side-hilling - storm king looks fucking stupid from this side, but i dared not breathe such insolence until we'd finished having our way w/ his daughter

Mount_Goode_993.jpg

into the rap down to the 'frigarator on the north side - my helmet says "FAH Q" - how about yours?

Mount_Goode_994.jpg

josh just kept losing shit but getting stronger for it - here he shows off how totally chill he is w/ descending steep ass glacier sans gloves n' boots n' steel 'pons after 12 hours on the assault

Mount_Goode_995.jpg

bivying on the north side then returning after the summit makes this mountain much more of the full meal deal - half-desperate w/ the coming of devil-dusk, forlorne at the prospects of finding a way across the tortous upper glacier, i spot our Last Best Hope - steping delicately over the Quick Good(e)bye i use my alumininium axe to hack in some footsteps and humpe me way over the barrier between here and my last 2 pall malls - i hoop and holler in the crepescular gloaming as josh yards on the rope to follow and in 5 minutes all the heart-ache is gone and its whiskey n' smokes n' lasagna n' the beatific-glow

Mount_Goode_996.jpg

day 4 and 'fore noon we return to the north forke - the goodtimes gone lay out before us - we accessed the bivy via the snowfinger/creek on right, then up and left to the slanting snowfield below snow-king at top right - we bivied at the top of the buttress in the center of the picture

Mount_Goode_997.jpg

and so now, we say so fondly to you home and hearth and hill, fuck off, we have other things to do

Mount_Goode_998.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

even though some of the pics are slightly out of focus, the subject matter is very redeeming. thanks!

Yeah, the point and shoot I brought (instead of lugging my SLR like normal) seemed to focus poorly in certain liughts. It may well be user error too... :)

Kyle, the Park Creek descent is absolutely what I would use next time. The walk back around was far crappier than the map made it look...

-josh