Resorts with Powder

sprocket

Having tasted a little local powder this year I'm starting to think ahead for next year and am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good resort that would be a good introduction to powder. I'm looking for someplace that has good moderate terrain for snowboarding and would be relatively easy to get to and isn't too expensive. Utah? B.C Interior?

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCall, Brundage. Hits on all of your points. After skiing Rossland BC last weekend I can say the "moderate terrain" aspect is so Brundage. I'd forgotten what steep is all about. McCall gets drier, easier to ski snow though.

49 degrees N is another great smaller area that gets good snow, faces North and sees few people. Turner Mountain near Libby MT is another, but I'll probably get death threats for mentioning it. Steeper too.

If you want powder it all about Utah. They don't call it the greatest snow on earth for nothing. You can get good powder at many other areas but Utah is renowned world wide for it's light super dry, super fluffy pow pow. Alta, SnowBird and Solitude are all great but even better is the back country.

Utah is definitley on the wish list. The mandatory long drive or airline tickets makes it a bit spendy for 3-4 days on the slopes. I have heard it is the place to go though.

Brundage sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, moderate terrain, lots of snow, reasonable accomodations and an 8 hour drive isn't too bad.

Thanks for the reponses.

• 8 months later...

It's next season and I'm looking for a little more help.

Any recommendations for lodging in McCall?

Same for Salt Lake City?

Any advice for flying with snowboards?

Also if you were in Salt Lake City and had 3 days on the slopes which resort(s) would you choose? i know Alta doesn't allow snowboards. Again looking mainly for moderate terrain.

Thanks

Sorry, another couple of question.

Ground transportation. Any recomendations?

With up to 4 people aand a combo of skis and boards we would need a large and expensive vehicle. It looks like you can catch city busses to many of the resorts.

Also anyone traveled with a snowboard on plane flight? Any bag/packing recomendations?

Thanks

You can rent magnetic ski-racks with most rental cars in SLC. They carry both skis and boards. If the weather's bad, drive to the transit stop at the base of BCC and take the bus the rest of the way up. You shouldn't need 4 wheel drive to get around, although it'll be nice if a big storm hits that dumps snow in town.

Any of the resorts in BCC or LCC are fine as the snow and terrain around SLC is rad. My brother lived there for 10 years so I've spent plenty of time in the winter there.

Also if you were in Salt Lake City and had 3 days on the slopes which resort(s) would you choose? i know Alta doesn't allow snowboards. Again looking mainly for moderate terrain.

That depends... My favorite resort is Alta, but since that is out, Solitude is awesome too. Powder Mt is good for the powder and they do have a lot of intermediate terrain that you mentioned you were looking for. However, unless things have changed in the past few years, the lifts are old school and most are slow at Powder Mt. Powder Mt is really all about skiing the backside, which is not always open but a good place to be if it is open and they have fresh snow. If it is really cold and the snow is extra dry, I'd be sure to hit Snow Basin. It is an great mountain but is a bit lower than Alta/Bird and Powder Mt so they don't usually get quite as much, or as dry snow, unless it is nice and cold. Powder Mt and Alta get the biggest dumps. It gets skied out pretty quick at Alta but you can usually get some good, fresh powder at Powder Mt, even several days after a storm if you know where to look.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

We are down there for 3 day on the slopes next week starting Thursday (2/12).

Got a package from a hotel in SLC that includes rental car w/rack and lift tickets to any of the 4 resorts in BCC and LCC.

Since Alta is out we were thinking a day at each of the other 3 unless one of them seemed more suited to our abilities. Snowbird looks huge with a lot of steep terrain but plenty of moderate stuff for us.

Any other thoughts or advice? Any of the resorts a little less crowded on the weekends?

Good eats?

Looks like there is a little snow in the forecast for every day so far.

Thanks again for all the replies.

• 2 weeks later...