Living in the Rockies?

robpatterson5

I'm finished school and and heading out to Canmore/Banff/Golden this summer, and I was wondering what advice people had about living in the Rockies?

Might end up living and working in Calgary if I get one of the jobs that I really want, otherwise I'd like to be in the mountains and climbing as much as possible, in the winter the plan is to ski and get ready for grad school.

Whats your advice on living in Canmore, Banff or Golden? I'm still trying to decide between all three!

Edited by robpatterson5

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Canmore is hugely expensive, but access is tops. Having lived in Calgary for 2 years recently I can say the drive to the hills out the 1 can get monotonous, but in 45 minutes you can get way away from the city. Canmore has a good feel and you will be surrounded by an excellent climbing community way less ego fed than here in the states.

I've spent summers in the Rockies and did a lot of free form camping while in the valley. That was a while ago and Canmore was different then, but with a little hunting and looking you should be able to find places for temporary parking/living.

You can take your time, but you probably want a house to live in come winter. Well unless you're out to prove a point. ;)

Ah,yes! Exshaw!

That should do the trick for ya. Yam and the Goat buttress nearby, plenty work noise and dust from the concrete factory, fine road biking if you don't mind drunken 1st nations follies.

You shall make this your new home!!!!!

lol, man, I'm hoping its Golden for the winter. Less stupid high rent then the rest of the Bow - although from your descriptions Exshaw is sounding mighty fine! lol.

Might be Canmore for the summer though.

Any advice on living in your truck there? I've heard its not a bad setup until the winter!