G3 Skis

Blake

Does anyone have experience with G3 line of skis for general backcountry and some inbounds use? I might have the chance to pick up a pair at a low price, and I'm currently skiing on some 10-yr old Tua Mitos that are too big for me.

It'd be on a Randonee setup, and I am not a super-aggressive skier.

Thanks!

P.S. cc.com search said "G3" was too short of a term to search for.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I considered the G3 Barons, and demo'd them vs. the Shuksan a few years ago riding lifts at Alpental on a March day with everything from hardpack down low in the shade to corn & mashed potatoes in the sun to cold powder in the shade off the traverse. Lucked out on the day for ski testing for sure.

They didn't edge very well and were choppy at any sort of speed, not too stable through the junk. Are they a foam core ski? Probably not, they are not terribly light. That is the only G3 ski I have tried. Shuksans rocked my world.

Sorry I don't have positive feedback for your deal. Bargain skis are better'n no skis at all though!

My wife skis on the Sirens and she loves them. Very stable off-piste, carve well on-piste. She's upper intermediate in ability.

Bought them at Second Ascent last year for a good deal with G3 bindings. I love my G3 bindings and although I've broken two of the tour throws (heel clamps) because I was trying to get on the lift too quick and didn't push my boot in all the way ;o) they've always sent me a new pair of throws right away without charge. I have to send the old ones back so they can see what happened but their customer service and product is great.

hafilax said:
I've heard good things about their wider skis like the Reverends and the Goliaths

Movement makes the Goliath.

NateF said:
I considered the G3 Barons . . .

They didn't edge very well and were choppy at any sort of speed, not too stable through the junk. Are they a foam core ski? Probably not, they are not terribly light. That is the only G3 ski I have tried. Shuksans rocked my world.

Most people's only gripe with the Barons is that they are too beefy and stiff . . . usually heavier skis do better in the junk, no?

G3, being a Canadian company, is still in the process of "convincing" some of the US and Euro markets - funny since they are ubiquitous and well-loved north of the border. They ARE a touch heavier than most manufacturers in my estimation, but that heft certainly comes in the form of a more durable product in my experience.

The Reverend is probably the best powder ski for 90% of what you are going to find on the Coast. Rapid Transit is my favourite ski of all time - rails on the groomers and eats up the mank.

Edited by jordop

Jesus. Most people's only gripe with the Barons is that they are too beefy and stiff . . . usually heavier skis do better in the junk, no?

G3, being a Canadian company, is still in the process of "convincing" some of the US and Euro markets - funny since they are ubiquitous and well-loved north of the border. They ARE a touch heavier than most manufacturers in my estimation, but that heft certainly comes in the form of a more durable product in my experience.

The Reverend is probably the best powder ski for 90% of what you are going to find on the Coast. Rapid Transit is my favourite ski of all time - rails on the groomers and eats up the mank.

Despite how beefy and heavy they may be, I managed to remind myself I was shopping for skis and not a burger, and that no matter how hungry I got, they could not be eaten.

I did not think they performed as implied by the faux-review hype dominating the marketing scene.

My only predisposition to the G3 product reputation is that I have always thought they make great tele bindings. The Barons were a disappointment. I'm never going to Canada again.

The Hombres are one my favorite skis that I've been on. The Baron is one of the weaker skis in their line-up, but I generally like going fatter anyways. The Reverends ski really well but are on the heavy side. One of the best new skis coming out next year are the Saints, which come out of the Reverend mold, but are 1 lb lighter. For a wood ski, I think they're great.

I've been skiing them since late last season. They're ok... I don't love them but they work well enough for steeper runs where you need to turn fast and steady. On open slopes I feel like I'm skiing really slow in them - but that might be b/c I usually ski Jaks and like to ski fast with few turns. In hardpack and variable I have to be careful -- they certainly don't bust through crud (which sounds clique). They are certainly not stiff. I have skied them maybe 30 times BC and once at a resort.

To tell the truth... I'm eying the Shuksans!

wfinley, what model were you skiing?

I have tried the Barons and didn't like them - in technical terms, they are described as "damp". In my terminology, they felt dead. Having said that, I have a friend with Aces and he loves them for just about all conditions.

If you are looking at Shuksans, better grab 'em quick. Rumours on the street are that the Shuksan production line has done its day and next year they will be replaced by something derived from the Apache line-up.

If you are looking at Shuksans, better grab 'em quick. Rumours on the street are that the Shuksan production line has done its day and next year they will be replaced by something derived from the Apache line-up.

I think the Shuksans are already similar to the Apache lineup. They ski quite similarly to the all mountain models from the Modx/Axis family, now replaced by the Apache line. It would be pretty shocking if whatever they're calling the Shuksan next year has anything besides cosmetic alterations. Hopefully they won't screw it up.

Reverends are a good all around mid fat ski not super for regular resort stuff, but decent. Not a great ski in AT setup for running tight trees, not the quickest turning.

I have some BD Killowatts and adore the things. Similar dimensions, lighter, quicker turning and better handling on piste.

Barons are 2x4s. Designed to be dead and functional, not lively.

I have the 1st gen of Barons.

I actually take back what I said about the Barons. Yesterday I skied a long line in them that started with 50 degree thigh deep powder, then it turned into breakable crust, then it turned into solid ice. The Barons powered through everything and I actually skied the line thinking about the route instead of about my skis. I was pretty impressed that the skis were able to link a long series of jump turns in 40 degree terrain where the snow was breakable without any issues. Basically these are mountaineering skis -- made for steep descents where you have to turn fast and link jump turns. Skiing them in deep powder is doable but I don't care to link turns in deep powder and prefer GS turns.

For me I think it's a matter of learning to ski two very different skis (Jak BCs and Barons) in two very different manners. My Jaks suck on steep breakable crust - my Barons suck on deep powder days where you have to keep the angle under 30.

If you're looking for a ski for steep couloirs with crummy snow they're good; but I don't think they're an all around ski.

Indeed. Barons are not for the average all around type user. It's very specifically designed to be a guides ski that is capable in all conditions not a star in any. Too many folks have gotten them thinking they are the best quiver of one ski which they are not. That being said, they are a damn fine ski when used as designed. Like most stuff.

I've been riding a pair of Rapid Transits for the past couple of months (~50 ski days) and I love them. For a fat ski they handle groomers really well (thanks to the asymmetric shape) and are easy to get on edge. You can make tight turns or big GS turns with them. I manage to get them to chatter at high speeds on icy runs fairly consistently, but I think part of that is my technique (so I've been told). I demoed the Reverends before I bought the RTs and really liked those as well, but I thought the RTs would do a bit better on the groomers and be a better all around (on and off piste) fat ski. I love the RTs in the powder and crud. I'd buy them again.

I believe G3 is selling all there skis (are were) for 40% off for some reason or another. They started that about 3 weeks after I picked mine up :-(