[TR] White Pine Peak - North Chutes 3/15/2008

AlpineK

Trip: White Pine Peak - North Chutes

Date: 3/15/2008

Trip Report:

JH and I had a nice day of skiing just south of HWY 2. I didn't have a topo, so I just had to go off memory on the route. Also I believe the peak is not labeled on the map, so the peak may just be a point above White Pine Creek.

I'd skied this peak once before in '06 with Rat and tanstaafl . At the time it seemed like a pretty cool descent with both tree skiing and a big open chute off the summit.

White_Pine_Pk_3-15-08.JPG

Here's a picture of the face.

The approach is on a flat road that you follow till you see a thinned track that loggers cut in the failed hopes of making money off timber.

WP_Uptrack1_3-15-08.jpg

Uptrack

Eventually you get into uncut timber past the cut. There are nice views of the surrounding mountains.

Rock_Mtn_View_3-15-08.jpg

Rock Mountain

We got up to a high point near the summit. We could have summited, but the wind drift was depositing new snow on the NE face we wanted to ski and we worried a bit about avy danger. We decided to head down.

WP_Highpoint_3-15-08.jpg

Our high point with a view of the summit.

From here we had a super descent down the edges of the big chute.

WP_Descent1_3-15-08.jpg

WP_Descent3_3-15-08.jpg

A couple shots looking back at the descent.

From here the chute necks down to a gully. You might be able to ski it this year, but in general it was better to finish the face on a logging road.

All in all a fun day. :tup:

Gear Notes:

Skis

Approach Notes:

Send me a PM for details.

Edited by Feck

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the chute is also known as "the funnelator" or "the lawnmower", depending on which group of locals you talk to.

parking for this area will likely become a problem. the road is plowed by the church camp (not the usfs) for their winter use. don't block it.

oh, and they certainly made money off that partial cut.