[TR] 8 Mile Mountain - NE Face 3/9/2008

telemarker

Trip: 8 Mile Mountain - NE Face

Date: 3/9/2008

Trip Report:

This was the last day for Kyle Flick to use his Mission Ridge season's pass, so we decided to ski 8 Mile Mtn. I have to agree with other posters, the b/c conditions have been outstanding so far, and it's not even spring.

After touring on Mt. Cashmere earlier in the week, I obsessed a bit on 8 Mile Mtn., it's NE Face. It's appeal is obvious, compelling, irresistable.

8_Mile_Mtn_NE_Face.JPG

Exposed skiing above some large cliffs, preserved powder with a Northern aspect, and the best views of Stuart. We started from the car late, around 7:30am, skinning up the road but soon were passed by a local sledneck, carrying himself and Ludwig up somewhere to make some turns. We needed the exercise anyway.

The views start early on this tour.

Approach_to_8_Mile_Mtn.JPG

Within a couple hours, we were skinning across 8 Mile Lake.

Approach1.JPG

The sunny, open slope up and right of Kyle was our approach to 8 Mile Mtn.

Approach_to_8_Mile.JPG

It was one of those days where the skins have a fortress-like bite on the corn snow.

Skin_up_Meadows.JPG

The views started opening up very nicely, with Mt. Stuart seemingly within arm's reach right to our south. I played a bit with my camera's EV values to bring out the clouds more. Unfortunately, there's no auto camera-tilt correction.

Stuart_on_Approach.jpg

Looking back down on the lake.

Above_8_Mile_Lake.jpg

A few shots of the approach to the summit.

Jack_Ridge.JPG

Mt. Daniel

Mt_Daniel.jpg

Kyle skinning final bit.

Last_Pitch_to_Summit.jpg

Booting up. Base of Rainier and the Interglacier behind him.

Summit_8_Mile_Mtn.jpg

We topped out at 2.30pm. The summit of 8 Mile Mtn. is a large, flat plateau. The light and clouds today made for softened contrast and rich details.

Stuart_from_8_Mile_Summit.jpg

Stuart_and_Co_from_Summit.jpg

Colchuck_Dragontail_Argonaut.jpg

I had a hunch the snow on the north side would be pretty good, and my hunch was correct. Kyle decided to avoid skiing above the cliffs, and chose to start lower down on where there was a better run-out. This allowed him to take a few shots of me on the upper slopes. This is a rarity that I actually get photos of me, climbing or skiing.

The upper slope.

Slope_8_Mile_Mtn.JPG

Me dropping in, praying the slope doesn't rip out. The powder, a bit heavy, was solid and fun skiing.

dropping_in.jpg

On the lower slopes.

Me_Lower_on_Descent.jpg

Enchantment Peak

Enchantment_Peak.jpg

From the summmit, we skied down a drainage on the north side to 8 Mile Lake, retraced our skin track across the lake, and were back at the car by 4.30pm for a full day in an incredible location.

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's okay Bug, we were powered on the Home Fires Bakery's croissant cinnamon twists for the tour. Thanks for stopping in and introducing yourself to Linda.

Oops! Home Fires, scratch, scratch.

Still good treats. My daughters always insist on the cinnamon rolls and they were almost as good as my peanut butter cookie.

Trip: 8 Mile Mountain - NE Face

Date: 3/9/2008

Colchuck_Dragontail_Argonaut.jpg

Question for anyone....is the left hand of this aspect of Colchuck visible here the face that is climbed once you exit the couloir proper of the North Buttress Couloir route? Heading up there next weekend and trying to get an idea of the snow conditions.