Mount Daniels Access???

Spencer

Has anyone been in the Mount Daniels area yet this year? Cle Elem rd leading to it has not been passable in years past, I have the climbing bug something terrible, ( nice weather does it)

Avy danger still a issue however will evaluate it slope by slope.

And no I don't want to snowmobile in :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

You can check with Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest to see how far, but it is a virtual certainty that the road is buried under deep snow and will be until mid to late June--at least. Driving across Scatter Creek may be impossible in a passenger car well past that time too. All just speculation.

I have no curret information but two years ago, I got stuck 4 miles from the trailhead in deep snow in late June.

That was after plowing through many other snowbanks.

Chance are, you will have an extra 8 miles (from the last cabin)and then only if the big 4x4s have been tearing it up.

• 1 month later...

The FS website says you can get to camp creek with a 4x4. I also heard that you can get to fourtune creek which I believe is the second bridge but I'm not sure how acurate that is. I do a big annual camp out up there by the lake the end of June and I have been worried about access but it looks like it will be open by then. As far as getting to the TH for Daniels I would say by the end of June as well since the elevation isn't any higher than fish lake. About 4 to 5 miles in is all your getting for now.

I climbed Davis Peak this past weekend and from up high the road looked clear of snow as far as we could see beyond the trailhead. Davis Peak is just north of Salmon La Sac campground and China Point (maybe what the ranger was referring to). I'd guess we could only see the road up to around Camp Creek.

I drove up there this afternoon. It goes pretty far, but there is still probably about 5 miles of snow.

China area is referring to China Falls. It is where the road is really steep, about a 1/2 in, and goes for about a mile. That avalanche, is a land slide, and it is passable just fine now. I would give the road a couple more weeks at least. The part I would be concerned about is the crossing over paris? or french? creek. It gets pretty high.