jogging & arches

mike1

A question for you avid runners out there: Can running on hard surfaces lead to the flattening of your arches (I assume it does)? I run often on all surfaces and have replaced all my boots and shoes over the last 3 years. My feet are a full size longer now. I first noticed in 2005 after spending a week in the Olympics and losing 5 toenails from toe-box impact. Someone told me that it "just happens" around age 40 (I doubt this). Any good jogging links where I can research this connection would be helpful too.

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many things that can contribute to your arches falling. many years of hard use, genetics, the shoes you wear, the surfaces you run on. i sugest you see your doc and make sure there is nothing more serious going on. if it is just the arches, start working your way through the options in in soles for your running and hiking shoes. they help the rest of your body stay in alingment. you may want to consider a chiropracter too.

just my .02$

I'm no expert, but I've heard that's just what happens as you get older - gravity - and that most adults see an increase in shoe size by a 1/2 to a whole size, runners or not. I'm a runner and my shoe/boot size is a full size bigger than it used to be, but I have no arch issues or other complaints.

I ran in college and high school, and continue. When I was a freshman in college I fractured my ankle playing basketball. When looking at my X-ray the orthopedist asked if I was a serious runner. He said it was evident from the spreading of my foot bones and that as I got older it would cause some problems. Like what, I don't know. Other than a minor bout of plantar faciatis I've had no foot problems.