to the christians

lI1|1!

please explain how life spontaneously generated in the primordial ooze.

I have not read this whole thread. Please excuse me if I am covering ground already addressed. Is there necessarily any contradiction between the idea that there is a god who "created" mankind and the theory of evolution? Yes, the idea that random chance is or could be the driving force behind evolution would seem to be at issue - but couldn't there have been a primordial ooze that the hand of god blessed with life?

There's a reason the Pope John Paul gave his blessing to Stephen Hawking in support of his research into the Big Bang theory.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found the people with the strongest most secure faith tend to be quiet about it. The ones with the most shaky faith are the ones always trying to convert people in an attempt to bolster their own beliefs.

And I think it takes a great deal of courage and strength to faith in the utter absence of proof, and to acknowledge the absence of proof. At it's core belief in any god/religion is found purely on an unsupported assumption. Rou can argue all you want, and desperately cast about for miracles and what not as proof, but at then end of the day it's still an a-priori assumption, and to admit that takes some cajones, and not many people can.

It's always fun to deconstruct peoples belief system to show them that they have no proof, no basis, no anything but an unfounded assumption :moondance:

But those of truly deep and well understood faith already know that :wink:

I've always found the people with the strongest most secure faith tend to be quiet about it. The ones with the most shaky faith are the ones always trying to convert people in an attempt to bolster their own beliefs.

Agreed. And that goes for those who are the most vocal about their lack of belief, especially when criticizing those who do believe.

Agreed. And that goes for those who are the most vocal about their lack of belief, especially when criticizing those who do believe.

Why would anyone who does not believe in God, even be reading this thread? Did they not see the subject line?

How can anyone claim to know what another person's experiences could have been?

Are you really ready to say, "It is a fact that you could not possibly have experienced that."?

How many cultures will you be discounting?

How many very wise people of all ttraditions and religions, and spiritual paths are you willing to claim to be above in your view of cosmology and science?

It just makes me very sad for you.

I mean, I hope you are truely happy in your chosen state of existence but it seems very limited by historical and cultural standards outside this board, era, and country.

Why would anyone who does not believe in God, even be reading this thread? Did they not see the subject line?

How can anyone claim to know what another person's experiences could have been?

Are you really ready to say, "It is a fact that you could not possibly have experienced that."?

How many cultures will you be discounting?

How many very wise people of all ttraditions and religions, and spiritual paths are you willing to claim to be above in your view of cosmology and science?

It just makes me very sad for you.

I mean, I hope you are truely happy in your chosen state of existence but it seems very limited by historical and cultural standards outside this board, era, and country.

I never said I didn't believe in god....

I also never said that people haven't experienced what they percieved to be miracles....

But in the final analysis the only reason to believe in god is because you do. Your experiences can be questioned, they're causes can be questioned, and their interpretations can certainly be questioned. god's existance can not be "proved", it can only be accepted or denied.

Of course denial is also a leap of faith and based on an unfounded assumption. Lack of proof is not a refuttal, only a lack of proof.

I also find it interesting that non-believers like to bring up the whole "no proof" bit. The Bible is quite clear that what is required is faith. If one were to know (via proof) that God exists, then how could one possibly have faith?

i have faith that there is no god.