Best route to ski descend south sis

Orygunkid

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you are coming from a TH along 46, then you probably want to ski a southern face. The Prouty Glacier looks cool, but it is in a northeastern direction, so you would get your turns in, then be back on skins (but i could be mistaken, i suppose if you head far skiers right it would be fine). I would stay away from the Lewis Glacier (the standard route up goes around the edge, and you will see why you might not want to go there) If i was going there for one day, i would go to the Devils lake TH, hike/skin standard trail to the top, and ski slightly to skiers right of the trail down to Moraine lake, then ski right to the car.

I had a great time on the south side of the mountain, tons of great ski terrain there. Have a planned route in mind, but if visibility is good, no route info is really required, and you can pick a line that looks good from the flats. I don't know what my route would be called, but it sure was a good time. I recall many appealing-looking options. Enjoy!

I would really just reccomend the main South face ramp. It is a hell of a time on the way down and you can get turns on some really steep bowls lower down if you scout them on the way up. There is lower avy danger, and you have the added help of not getting lost in the trees because you can follow your tracks in.

It would be a little longer but there is a good series of runs down to Green Lakes that also make a reasonable ascent route. From the rocky crest a few hundred feet southeast of the summit area, ski a roughly 1,000' run down to the Lewis Glacier, then make a climnbing traverse left and around a corner to reach another nearlyi 800 foot run more easterly oriented on what the map shows as a perennial snowfield between 9400 and 8700, then once again traverse left and maybe climb a bit to reach a third run that will take you down to Green Lakes. At this time of the year, you are probably increasing your avvy danger by going this way; I've skied this route over Memorial Day weekend and it was great.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about doing a double traverse of the Sisters either in the spring (ski-able) or in the fall (hike-able). I was wondering if anybody has any advice on which one to attempt first, either the North or South Sister. I suppose if the North Sister is the middle point then i only have to deal with going up and down the same route once, versus going Up then Down, then Up and back Down. I did a quick search and i didnt find anything on a Sisters traverse, so i was just wondering what people have done in the past.