[TR] Barracuda Coffee Co. (FFA)

ClimbingPanther

Boo-yah! The 7+ inches of snow that fell Sunday on the Tri-Cities primed the conditions for an alpine-style unroped solo ski attempt of the Barracuda Coffee Co. An alpine-start was not possible as the route had not fully formed. So I started from my house at 3pm with nothing on my back, planning to eat snow for water. Bombing Range Rd. was steep and deep, but not enough to facilitate unassisted downward movement. The skiing near Van Giesen St. was tough and conditions varied from recently plowed hard-pack to deep freshiez to blue ice. However, the views of the near-frozen Yakima river were majestic from the commanding view on the bridge. Ducks and geese were everywhere, but no other wildlife could be found. Probably the down suits. The crux was an onsight crossing of HWY 240 while the light was still green. This was very committing, as falling would spell disaster. Objective danger was high here. Though blocks of ice the size of semi-trucks were not falling, semi-trucks themselves were a constant threat. After topping out, I was rewarded with a steaming cup of coffee, even though it was 10 minutes after closing time. Props to my uncle for letting me in. The descent involved the highway crossing, which I sent a second time. Darkness was closing in, so I hurried home. Timing was key, as I crossed the path of a recent swath of debris caused by a car sliding off the road just minutes earlier. Speed = safety in this game. I finally arrived at home, overjoyed to see that my car had neither been ticketed nor towed.

Go out and get this while the conditions allow! This route will become chossy when the snow melts. PM me for more beta and a detailed topo, I have it dialed.

Will post pics soon!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, this reminds me. I found some adventure at the coffee box the other morning. Upon receiving my hot cup of brew, my damn window jammed in the down position. What to do? Drive to work 20 minutes with the window down? No way. It was 23 degrees out there, so I raced back to the house and got my belay coat, a $40 jobber I had scored from the basement at REI on first hill. How many times has that cheap, filthy coat saved my ass? I mean sure, it's got little burn holes from camp fire sparks out of which goose down occasionally spills (that way you know it's the real deal and not filled with some synthetically manufactured imitation insulation).

My attachment to this coat borders on sentimental. In fact I was personally insulted when I ran into Dave Bale in Leavenworth, at a beer hall during Oktoberfest, and he commented on how disgustingly dirty it was. I mean really, that coat's grungy elbows and greasy collar can fill the most sterile, sanitary room with the aroma of high adventure. I thought Dave Bale, of all people, would appreciate it. Little did he know that I'd just come through the beer hall's security check with an entire six-pac of Snow Cap stuffed into the pockets. That made the pretzels his kids were selling affordable.

Oh no. I had it repaired at a shop within walking distance of my place of employment. I'm almost as attached to the car, a '97 civic with 190k miles, as I am the coat. It's interesting that with high gas prices, I've been approached by three people who offered to buy it while I was filling up.

Nice TR, what gear do you recommend? Side note: did you see the brown stains on the carpet? That means that you didn't bag the FFA.

Sorry dude!

You'll have to PM me for gear rec's, it's my private beta (not beta on my privates, which incidentally I also give out in PM's). As for the FFA thang, homey that left the brown stains got there in his car, which is aid. He can have the FA, but the FFA is all mine.

"didn't bag the FFA" ~ didn't bluebag the Fear-Facilitated Assbarracuda

poo.JPG