Hawaii

kevbone

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maui = more people, more development, more condos, more of the aggro-tropical-redneck-poly-mullet localism.

Good news is that if you are into meth/crack/heroin, it will take all of 3 minutes in Wailuku/Kahalui for someone to roll up and offer you and/or your kids any/all of the above, so Maui has that going for it.

We've gone to Kauai every 2-3 years for about 20 years. It's a great place to take young kids - lots of good beaches and beginning->advanced snorkeling. If you go in Winter, try to get lodging towards Poipu. You'll spend less time driving to beaches (assuming that's your thing), plus you can still take day trips up North in either direction. If you go in Summer, the Hanalei/Princeville area may be better. The reason it changes seasonally is that the prevailing winds shift around and make various beaches better in different seasons.

I've noticed that Craigslist seems to have some good deals on lodging. That seems to be where a lot of last minute cancellations show up, often at a steep discount. Stay away from the Hostels on Kauai. I've stayed in the one on the beach in Kapaa, and it was an interesting experience. I wouldn't stay there with a kid.

We're heading to Poipu in March and we're counting the days. PM me if you have specific questions.

I've been to the Big Island. There's some fun snorkelling at random small beachs.

As beach destinations go Hawaii is a) really expensive b) really crowded and c) really developed

When someone asks where they should ski in, say, Summit County - I'm glad to know that you'll be there to inform them that relative to the global aggregate, all of the resorts are a)really expensive b)really crowded and c) really developed. :poke:

Seems like flights were leaving every half-hour or so, and the flights were something like ~30-45 minutes long.

There's also some fun, family-friendly flatwater kayaking available there. Can't remember the name of the river, but you could pretty easily bring along the tike for the paddle, and the hike to a nice waterfall/pool at the end of the paddle. I think the hike is about a mile long, over flat ground, through a rain-forest. Can't remember the name of the river, but it's pretty much the only one on the island.

There's also a very scenic beach with a nice reef protecting the water near the shore near the NaPali coach that'd be a good one for families with small kids that want some protection from the waves.

Link a map of Kauai and I could point out both....

When someone asks where they should ski in, say, Summit County - I'm glad to know that you'll be there to inform them that relative to the global aggregate, all of the resorts are a)really expensive b)really crowded and c) really developed. :poke:

Pretty much. If one were looking for a beach destination within 6hrs flight time of PDX I'd suggest the baja peninsula.

And if someone asks "wheres the best place to ski in Washington, DC" I'll say "don't fucking bother"

Seems like a nice place for the money. I’ve been to Hawaii for 2 trips of a month each with all but 3 days spent on Kauai. It’s a chill island. That place is up on the north shore where I spent most of my time. In that area is Anini beach which is shallow and protected which would be good swimming with a kid though the better snorkeling is further down near the end of the road. Though everybody thinks Hawaii is expensive to visit you can go there and live for next to nothing as well. Camping at the beachparks is 5$/ night (when they collect, which is rare) which includes showers and toilets and the hitching is easy. Most of my time there I’ve lived on $10-15 day for basic camping/food/snorkel rental and spent my time relaxing, swimming, reading and hiking around. I also remember eating avocadoes off the tree everyday in a grove just down the road. Car rentals are cheap and if you don’t mind going ghetto there are even a couple folks on the island that rent out beaters for like $10-15/day. I’m going in March and last I looked tickets for Feb were like $350 to Honolulu. Gotta add fare to get to the other islands though. Flights go between pretty much all islands about every 30 mins as I recall.. I always flew to Honolulu and grabbed the next plane out to Kauai for about $40 each way. I think the tickets were a few bucks cheaper if you bought them on site at the airport from an ATM machine but traveling with a kid you probably want to book ahead of time to avoid a layover in case you get in and the next few flights are sold out. Have a great time and pack a pullover. It’s sunny and warm but the north shore can have AM rain showers almost daily sometimes and with avg temps around 72 (perfect) you might want a layer in the evening.

Seems like a nice place for the money.

baja = camp on beach for free.

indo = $10-$15/day for hotel, beer + meals out

thailand = slightly more than indo

airfare to baja = same

airfare to indo & thailand = $8-900 which isn't that much worse than Hawaii.

ergo, not such a nice deal for the money. Oh, and the locals elsewhere aren't nearly the assholes hawaiians can be

Kev

I love the big island. there are a ton of things to see and do and lots of differnt types of beaches and climates. and they have mountains... well sorta. any way that would be my sugestion. My ex badvoodoo grew up in Hawi and it is an awsome little town. I can't think of any where in Hawaii i wouldn't go with a kid. the water is good, and (some) people speak english. Just go, have fun, WEAR SUN SCREAN!!! seriously even if you don't usualy burn you will there.

happy travles!!