GPS Thread

billcoe

A garmin rep told me lithium batteries, fresh out of the pack, can have an initial electical spike that can fry the eTrex models. He said they specifically recommend against using lithium batteries. Just what I was told, YMMV.

Just a word of caution.

When where you told this? The eTrex Vista HCx has a setup option to designate lithium or alkaline.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello giza-

Good confirmation on Lithium dangers. I hope previous posters read this information.

--trad_guy

Hello Bergsteiger-

I think you mean the Vista HCx. However, REI has this model (25 hours) at $300 while the Venture HC (14 hours) is just $170, or $130 more. You can justify this for the 25 hours and the weather watch barometer in your wonderful backcountry.

I think a member of your Club translated my suggested Four Basic Responsibilities and Ten Essentials (now Ten Essential Systems) a while ago? http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Basic_Spanish.htm

--trad_guy

Berg Heil!

Edited by trad_guy

A garmin rep told me lithium batteries, fresh out of the pack, can have an initial electical spike that can fry the eTrex models. He said they specifically recommend against using lithium batteries. Just what I was told, YMMV.

Just a word of caution.

When where you told this? The eTrex Vista HCx has a setup option to designate lithium or alkaline.

Hello EW-

Ohmgosh! It is right there in the manual . . .

An exception to everything! But I still don't understand the Lithium advantage.

--trad_guy

Just a word of caution.

I was told this when I contacted Garmin after my 2nd eTrex Vista (NOT the HCx but the older b&w version) went tits up. He asked if I used lithium batteries and I told him no then asked why. I learned that the reason my Vista's kept crapping out was because I used them on a dual-sport motorcycle and they couldn't handle the vibrations. No problems witht he 60CSX though.

Well, it looks like the Colorados wont be ready for prime time for a while, and a couple of these reviews make it sound horrible. REI has an exclusive on the 400t (for topo) until 2-11-08.

Reviews from here: (click link for them all, I edited some of the fluff out, check out the "name" of the first poster)

Link to REI reviews of Garmin 400t Colorado series GPS

Delorme anyone?

Needs a lot of work

By Lloyd Anderson

Site Member from seattle, wa on 1/27/2008

Pros:

Strong Construction

Cons:

Bulky, Inaccurate, Short Battery Life

Best Uses:

Adventure, Auto, Hiking, Travel

Describe Yourself:

Gearhead, Outdoor Enthusiast, Technically Savvy

Bottom Line:

No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Base map of streets wildly inacurate. Short run time and backlight trouble when running on NiMH batteries. Topo software not included for computer. No turn by turn directions or tide tables as stated in specs. Lock ups & power offs. Poor value. Graphically pleasing, yet awkward menu system. Has potential, but needs a lot of work.

What are we, Garmin's Beta Testers?

By bkmollen from Ohio on 1/26/2008

Bottom Line:

This unit has a lot of issues [...]not to mention that it dumped all the Topo maps for its memory and they cannot be replaced. Call Garmin Tech Support and they confirmed the maps were gone and the unit was defective.

Was this review helpful to you? Yes/No- You may also flag this review.

Comments:

What about planning?

By OregoneSite Member from Portland OR on 1/25/2008

Pros:

Nice user interface, Simple Controls

Cons:

Spendy

Bottom Line:

The rolling interface is very nice indeed but overall the value didn't justify the price. The preloaded TOPO sounds good but will leave you wondering how to plan a route. You'll still have to purchase some form of TOPO mapping software if you want to plan a wilderness route and transfer it to the device. For me and my money it was a better deal to go with the 60CSx, and the TOPO and save $.

Comments:

Cache Companion - Cool, Clean

By Dog TooSite Member from Tucson AZ on 1/18/2008

Pros:

Compact, Easy To Read, Easy To Set Up, Long Battery Life, Reliable Performance, Simple Controls, Strong Construction

Bottom Line:

Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Wow...clean, clear device...acquires signal quickly even without a open sky. Easy to use and looks as get as it works.

The top 4

Delorme PN-20

Garmin Colorado 400T

Bushnell

Magellan Triton series

Of these, only Delorme seems to have worked out the bugs. Furthermore, only the Magellan with the National Geographic maps comes close to the Delorme for map quality.

The Bushnell looks amazingly fantastic and like it would be the #1 choice for climbers as it has real time weather forecasting....just imagine being able to see that huge thunderstorm 2 ridges over heading your way! That is, if they can work the bugs out.

I'm 90% decided on a Delorme, and 9% Garmin 60Csx.

• 1 month later...