MSR snowshoe repair

tvashtarkatena

What glue/patch material should I use to repair minor tears in the fabric decking of a new pair of MSR Lightning snowshoes? I online ordered them and don't want to go through the hassle/expense/delay of shipping them out for warranty repair. In addition, it's a design flaw, so I want to correct it by reinforcing the area for good.

I'm not looking for a 'temporary' repair, it's a stress point and I need the real, factory recommended adhesive and patch material. I've got a call into MSR as well. Just thought someone here might have been through this already.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I had to repair mine. I acquired some of the same material on the shoes from REI, then went to ta local saddlery and picked up some high strength steel rivets. I applied the patch strip to the shoe with barge cement (recommended from my local shoe repair guy) from the top side over the tube and onto the bottom side then finished it with rivets through all 3 layers. Does that all make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. MSR replaced the shoes, no questions asked, no paperwork, at the factory down on 2nd St. S. They took the time to explain the design flaw and how they'd rectified it in the next version.

I contrast, I had a ripped out some rivets on a pair of Tubbs snowshoes, which is also in Seattle. "Can I just come down and drop them off?"

No. The only way to get them fixed is to mail them in through the original retailer. "Can you give me a repair estimate over the phone? I can describe exactly which rivets have failed."

No. Send them in, then you get the estimate. Yeah, right.

The whole process was such an open ended hassle that I decided to just try to fix them myself. That's fine. And that's the last Tubbs product I'll ever buy.

Fortunately, they're a second pair now, and so there only for visitor use.

one person I estimate is over 200lbs. About the 5th time he went out he told me the decking starting tearing away from the snowshoe. It happened when he was out. It pissed him off from the money he spent.

The other person is probably 180. same story. But I think it was half way through the season and he was out maybe 10 times in my estimate. This person now goes by the plastic denali ascents which I use too. I had the first year of the denali ascents they came out....and they finally broke last year....so about 7 years? and I am a hard core user.