Rock rack in carry-on

ericb

You were lucky. Those highly-trained, ever-vigilant TSA screeners musta been asleep at the wheel when they let you get by so easily.

"And what's in this little bag, Mr. Hemp, eh? Looks like meth to me. Don't it to you, Clem? Step over there to the little red circle and drop all yer clothes, Mr. Hemp, if'n you would, please." :laf:

they should be able to tell the difference....

I mean, don't you know how to do the easy taste test to make sure you're buying good quality crack, and not that cheap-o "Metolius" stuff they sell at the climbing shop?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from Joshua Tree, but I checked everything, so I'm not much help. We did get an email back from TSA regarding carrying it on - it basically said it was at the discretion of security screeners. So it's probably a toss-up.

What good is just shoes anyway, unless you want to just boulder - if you've got to spring for all new gear because of a F*ck up - might as well go all out!

they took my fingernail clippers at DIA...

Unrelated to thread, but amusing nonetheless...

When my wife and I went to Vietnam in late 2002 (and again in early 2003), the TSA folks at SEATAC confiscated my little folding scissors that I use to trim my mustache/nosehair. Oh well, I thought...

So we were somewhat amused when we embarked upon the Vietnam Airlines flight from Taipei to Saigon, and dinner was served, complete with real silverware. I mean *real stainless steel* silverware, not the plastic shit you get on US and European carriers. They apparently read the "pass out the pistols" page from Archie Bunker's playbook: arm all the passengers equally, and see how well any hijackers fare after the flight's over. :laf:

chicken-noodle-soup-_-fd004081.jpg

IF your gear gets stolen and you have homeowners/renters insurance, they are going to require that you "prove" what you have. In most cases, pictures and lists are sufficient--that said, it is a very good idea to take pictures and keep a reasonable accounting of your gear. This holds true with all your possessions and if you have never taken a video or still picture inventory of your goods, you should.

If you try to carry it on and can't get by security, do they take it right there and "route it back" for check-in or would they have you do it? Either way would suck but letting security take it there would seem riskier than taking it yourself - just curious.

I am surprised about the chalk making it through. I'd think there would be a suspicion of drugs or explosives.

I've flown out of Portland, Chicago, San Diego, and St Louis with a full trad rack in my carry on- but I did put the nuts tools in my checked bag. Generally I try to get there early, and I pull all the gear out, put it in the plastic trays, and alert the staff to what it is before it goes through the machine. Be a courteous and understanding as possible, but with the expectation that they will let you through. Usually at least someone on the TSA staff has seen a climber or some climbing gear somewhere. I even had another traveller come to bat for me (in St. Louis) to help explain my case. Just be open and honest, and nice.

I have flown several times for climbing trips since 9/11 always carried my full trad rack and every thing else except rope (not enough room) on the plane, flying from Seattle to Vegas, Phoenix, Anchorage, Oahu, and Boise with not one problem. I have never even had to empty the gear out. once or twice someone opened the top and looked around a bit.

IF your gear gets stolen and you have homeowners/renters insurance, they are going to require that you "prove" what you have. In most cases, pictures and lists are sufficient...

Quite true.

...that said, it is a very good idea to take pictures and keep a reasonable accounting of your gear. This holds true with all your possessions and if you have never taken a video or still picture inventory of your goods, you should.

Again, quite true.

Insurance (homeowner's/renter's/personal articles) is practically worthless without documentation.

IF your gear gets stolen and you have homeowners/renters insurance, they are going to require that you "prove" what you have. In most cases, pictures and lists are sufficient...

Quite true.

...that said, it is a very good idea to take pictures and keep a reasonable accounting of your gear. This holds true with all your possessions and if you have never taken a video or still picture inventory of your goods, you should.

Again, quite true.

Insurance (homeowner's/renter's/personal articles) is practically worthless without documentation.

Just found out my homeowners deductible is $1,000

And any claim you make against it will stay in a central database forever. The company I work at just bought this database. The implications are frightening--your claims will follow you around irrespective of what insurance company you may wish to move to.

Ship your gear if you are that worried (BTW: I wouldn't be). Claims against them are not held against you (That I would worry about)

How much is your rack worth to you?

If I assess just my climbing/mountaineering/ice climbing gear, I can easily reach $10k in replacement costs (my coverage is for full replacement value). That's not including my downhill and tele ski shit, road bikes, kayaks, etc. For me, $1000 would be a pretty cheap buy-in towards replacement. Just sayin'...

I've flown with my trad rack in the last 6 months out of and into SeaTac. There wasn't really any real problems, however the screener did give a funny look at the xray and notified someone. I ended up emptying out my gear from my pack until the person found what they were looking for, my nut tool (they had spotted it through all of the other gear in the xray). Once they identified it, I was okay to put it all back in the pack and go (including the nut tool since it was not a knife).

• 3 weeks later...