Rock rack in carry-on

ericb

I know there was some recent chat about flying with your rack in your carry on (no need to post a link to the thread and some smart-ass comment about using the search functionality as experiences were over a long period of time and highly variable), but just curious if any one has recently flown out of SEATAC with pro/biners/slings in your carry on, and what your experience was.

thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly to your question, ericb, but if it *does* get stolen, your homeowner's/renter's insurance may actually cover your loss better than the standard shit insurance you get on your bags from the airlines (which I think is like $500 or somesuch). My insurance is with SF, and it covers my losses whether or not my stuff gets pinched from the house, car, or "out on the town."

Personally, I'd look into it with my insurance carrier, then either check it or ship it to a friend or climbing shop near J-Tree. If you take Option 2, make sure you make a healthy "gear acquisition purchase" at your benefactor's place of business. It might make for better relations on your next trip... or for others in a similar situation as well.

just pack quickdraws and a rope, you can sport climb till your shite gets there.
I did that on a trip to SLC in Oct and they let me on w/draws, harness and belay device.

I'd say basically the same thing - just take your harness & shoes in your carry on and check all the other stuff.

even if they lose the rope&rack, you can find benevolent people to climb with or borrow gear from with until you get your stuff back. i've travelled a couple times recently with shoes, harness & chalk bag (but no hardware) in my carry-on and haven't any problems.

...i've travelled a couple times recently with shoes, harness & chalk bag (but no hardware) in my carry-on and haven't any problems.

You were lucky. Those highly-trained, ever-vigilant TSA screeners musta been asleep at the wheel when they let you get by so easily.

"And what's in this little bag, Mr. Hemp, eh? Looks like meth to me. Don't it to you, Clem? Step over there to the little red circle and drop all yer clothes, Mr. Hemp, if'n you would, please." :laf:

they took my fingernail clippers at DIA...

Unrelated to thread, but amusing nonetheless...

When my wife and I went to Vietnam in late 2002 (and again in early 2003), the TSA folks at SEATAC confiscated my little folding scissors that I use to trim my mustache/nosehair. Oh well, I thought...

So we were somewhat amused when we embarked upon the Vietnam Airlines flight from Taipei to Saigon, and dinner was served, complete with real silverware. I mean *real stainless steel* silverware, not the plastic shit you get on US and European carriers. They apparently read the "pass out the pistols" page from Archie Bunker's playbook: arm all the passengers equally, and see how well any hijackers fare after the flight's over. :laf: