MEC Takes All POLYCARBONATE off Shelves

David Trippett

I'm curious what MEC is going to sell for rainwear now. Ventile cotton anoraks? Waxed cotton?

For the moment they're still selling Gore-Tex and such. If they had been selling some sort of Lexan rainwear, they would have pulled it, but I've never heard of anyone making Lexan clothing. However, the PTFE that most waterproof/breathables (like Gore-Tex) are based on is itself coming under increased scrutiny, particularly because of its bio-accumulative properties. So, yes, Gore-Tex could be next, along with all kinds of other technical fabrics. After that it will be things like flourinated ski waxes, and who-knows-what-all-else.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

avi,

when u get to it, you'd best correct your subject line. MEC took all their POLYCARBONATE products (a.k.a. Lexan) off their shelves. there are plenty of other plastics available, including Nalgene PTFE waterbottles.

cheers,

I didn't know theyb made PTFE waterbottles. I imagine that they'd be expensive and heavy. Are they? They should be quite inert, I should think.

I think Don meant HDPE - those are the softer, nearly opaque white bottles that Nalgene makes, and as far as anyone knows so far, they're perfectly safe. PTFE is commonly known as teflon, as used in non-stick frying pans and waterproof-breathable laminates, and, apparently, as a protective coating for certain politicians.

I happen to know that one can buy PTFE bottles. They are made for laboratory use. They are expensive. I have one. It's kind of heavy.

HDPE is pretty safe as far as I know but it smells funny.

Re: PTFE "Teflon"

If you overheat PTFE the gases are toxic. Also, Perfluorooctanic acid "PFOA" is used in making teflon for pans and is a "potential carcinogen." And, research from Johns Hopkins Hospital has shown that PFOA is in the umbilical cord blood of 99 percent of newborn babies.

Of coarse its just my opine, but Id venture to say that there is no such thing as a plastic container of any kind that does not leach something into what it is containing. Thats not a reason to panic, just cause for informing oneself and thus making informed choices.

How often would you really require the use of a Lexan bottle anyway? Maybe glass is a good substitute for mixing/storing things in around the home.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/07/earlyshow/health/health_news/main1289747.shtml

http://www.townsendletter.com/June2006/healthrisk0606.htm

I happen to know that one can buy PTFE bottles. They are made for laboratory use. They are expensive. I have one. It's kind of heavy.

HDPE is pretty safe as far as I know but it smells funny.

We all thank you for that critical and fascinating update.

Kind of elitist too "They are expensive", meaning us peons can't afford one. "I have one" - oh, your so cool. "It's kind of heavy" - oh, your so tough.

I know what else smells funny.

• 4 months later...

They just need to stop using BPA. Correct me if im wrong, but isnt it a plasticizer? So it lowers the processing temperature of the polycarbonate material that the are using, thereby lowering the manufacturing costs. Isn't it also questionable if the amount of BPA leeching into the water is at a harmful concentration? Still, it seems like most anything can be cancerous or deadly these days.

Edited by jordansahls