Sleeping foam - need advice

Panos

Hey,

Does anybody know a good foam sleeping bad ?

I do not like the raffled ones (too bulky plus other problems) nor I enjoy the standard blue foam from REI (not good enough insulation) for sleeping on snow. I have slept numerous nights on snow with a closed-cell foam and it was just fine. While in EU I used to have this one: http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Camping_Mats_54.html that served me very well. Here, I cannot locate a similar product (perhaps because stores earn more by selling Thermarests).

Help!

Edited by Panos

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The product suggested by JonG comes in inconvenient dimensions. I need longer (170-190cm) and thicker (10-12mm) and wider (55-60cm). Of course visiting MEC in Canada is not convenient either. At some point I will stop by to see what ProMountain has to offer or ask father Xmas to bring me a white bear inflatable pad!

Thank you for the answers guys.

Edited by Panos

If I am about to resort to mail ordering I will better get the real thing from Britain. It is longer and wider and lighter and with better insulating properties. Though, price in $ plus shipping sucks.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few other cool products that one cannot find over here. Honestly, I am surprised.

If I am about to resort to mail ordering I will better get the real thing from Britain. It is longer and wider and lighter and with better insulating properties. Though, price in $ plus shipping sucks.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few other cool products that one cannot find over here. Honestly, I am surprised.

Actually, Panos, it's exactly the same thing.

The MEC one is cut a bit thicker and it's longer and wider than the "expedition" one being sold by Needle Sports, but at the end of the day it's the same foam made by the same process in almost identical factories. So I'd guess that the MEC one has a better R value; although I'd agree with EWolfe: it's about the hardman-value, not some specious measurement designed for buildings... ;)

And yes, I've visited the factories. ;)

• 2 weeks later...