road trip vehicle question

sh47

we have a large dodge van- with a built in loft that is basically a piece of plywood on stands- right now we sleep on it with our camping pads, but i am realizing it would be much more comfortable to have either foam or a mattress on top. anyone have experience either custom building or buying some sort of truck bed mattress or something like that? i don't have the dimensions with me- but it's the entire width of a ram van.

the cheaper the better!

thx

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day...

I lived in a Ford E350. The bed was a double mattress given to us by a relative upgrading to a fancier mattress. Worked fine for a few years and felt a lot like "home" more so than foam pads. When it wore out we got one of those inflatable mattresses. Oddly enough it never punctured in spite of our desert-rat lifestyle. But it got cold at night - had to put a quilt under our sheet.

I lived in my 1960 Ford Falcon van for several years of climbing and woods work. I put cheap closed cell foan on plywood and 2" open cell foam on top of that. After a few years, I put an air mattress lightly inflated under the open cell foam. It worked great. I may have invested $20 total.

I have a queen sive air mattress you can have but I am in Redmond WA.

is that why our brain doesn't work. what's wrong with lice, that's my family your talking about.

I once spent endless hours pulling head lice eggsacs off the long beautiful hairs of my girlfriend while we were ending our 6 month trip in Mexico.

If she would have been just a little less cute, she would still have them.

I did nnot have any problems with bug infestations nor mold in my van but then, I took a couple trips a year to the desert. They had to be ready for sub-zero (Montana), damp and wet (Seattle), and hot and dry (Moab).

we have a large dodge van- with a built in loft that is basically a piece of plywood on stands- right now we sleep on it with our camping pads, but i am realizing it would be much more comfortable to have either foam or a mattress on top. anyone have experience either custom building or buying some sort of truck bed mattress or something like that? i don't have the dimensions with me- but it's the entire width of a ram van.

the cheaper the better!

thx

just pm tvashtarkenton, i'm sure he'd know.