Injustice

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like he's the only one. 208 people so far have been freed by DNA evidence by the Innocence Project.

"The Innocence Project was established in the wake of a landmark study by the United States Department of Justice and the United States Senate, in conjunction with Columbia Law School. Among the study's estimates are a 5% failure rate in the U.S. justice system, which suggests as many as 100,000 falsely convicted prisoners. Other reports place the estimate as high as 10%. 75% of wrongful convictions are caused by eyewitness misidentification."

I am not sure what the law reads in his state. But is he able to sue? Maybe get some money out of it.

no amount of money can make up for 22 years in the slammer, but yeah, it would be cool if he could get enough cash to live a comfortable life to ripe old age

Depends on the state. I think some give average state income, and some give what you were earning when you were arrested.

I am not sure what the law reads in his state. But is he able to sue? Maybe get some money out of it.

no amount of money can make up for 22 years in the slammer, but yeah, it would be cool if he could get enough cash to live a comfortable life to ripe old age

Depends on the state. I think some give minimum wage, some give average state income, some give what you were earning when you were arrested...

how about the average salary of a resident of the state over the last 22 years, plus 3x that amount for damages.

Depends on the state. I think some give minimum wage, some give average state income, some give what you were earning when you were arrested...

how about the average salary of a resident of the state over the last 22 years, plus 3x that amount for damages.

I've seen this come up before. (Someone else, that is.) They paid him lost wages, and that was it. No damages, because there was no evil intent. No crime, and no incompetence. They couldn't prove that anything was done maliciously; it was all done with the intent of upholding the law, and it was just too bad that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Nobody to blame. It just happened - he was convicted by a jury, and the jury was wrong. Oh, well. Here are your lost wages. Sorry about that. Goodbye.

Edited by lizard_brain

I agree.....but if he could get a few million for some sort of wrongful imprisonment suit. But I do recall my wife telling me some time ago about a law that protects the state from law suits from this sort of thing…..I think the guy is screwed.

I agree.....but if he could get a few million for some sort of wrongful imprisonment suit. But I do recall my wife telling me some time ago about a law that protects the state from law suits from this sort of thing…..I think the guy is screwed.

Forget the lawsuits, the state should just pay something fair in these cases. Totally pathetic.

He'd spend it all on crack in no time anyway.

Forget the lawsuits, the state should just pay something fair in these cases. Totally pathetic.

Define fair? I mean really I would say five million is fair…..others might say wages lost is fair…..

Define fair? I mean really I would say five million is fair…..others might say wages lost is fair…..

average salary in the state for 22 years plus 3x for damages, as I stated above.

Every time I hear one of these stories it pisses me off. How do you make up for something like this?!!!

linky

They had almost the same story the other night on 48 hours. Except the guy get out of prison innocent and goes out and commits murder. It was a weird story. Seems like most cases like this were before DNA test. Hopefully DNA test have cut this out.

Edited by Seahawks

"A jury of his peers."

OK. How many of his peers on the jury were black?

How about the witnesses?

% of black prisoners in US jails?

% of black prisoners wrongfully convicted?

Just wondering.

have you ever gotten called to jury duty?

did you avoid it?

just wondering...

also, btw, the problem seems to be more about the way suspects are identified in this (and many other cases), and how readily a victim or prosecutor makes/forces the identification. totally fubar.

Every time I hear one of these stories it pisses me off. How do you make up for something like this?!!!

linky

They had almost the same story the other night on 48 hours. Except the guy get out of prison innocent and goes out and commits murder. It was a weird story. Seems like most cases like this were before DNA test. Hopefully DNA test have cut this out.

Not all crimes include DNA.

And after a few years in prison, who wouldn't be trained on how to live amoungst killers?

"A jury of his peers."

OK. How many of his peers on the jury were black?

How about the witnesses?

% of black prisoners in US jails?

% of black prisoners wrongfully convicted?

Just wondering.

have you ever gotten called to jury duty?

did you avoid it?

just wondering...

also, btw, the problem seems to be more about the way suspects are identified in this (and many other cases), and how readily a victim or prosecutor makes/forces the identification. totally fubar.

Yes, no, not used because brother and wife in medical field.