Jeez ,what a stat!

wayne

From NWMJ traverse article:

"The goal of each traverse is to stay above tree line as long as possible to maximize the stupendous views. In many respects the Cascades are not as friendly as the Sierras or Rockies. The range has more peaks that rise 3,000 feet in the last horizontal mile to their summits than any other range on earth. Although that trivia has never appeared on Jeopardy, my knees and back acknowledge that our Cascade trips are more arduous than adventures made in other ranges."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed this story very much and wish to thank the author and NWMJ folks for making it available.

But I disagree with the author's assertion that it takes a "careful reading of Beckey" to get information about high routes. Beckey's guidebooks are subtitled "Climbing and High Routes."

Edited by johndavidjr

I can testify that after completing a pickets traverse and living in Colorado for a few years that the Rockies are a range for huge giant pussies. Just kidding :P, but that amazing stat doesn't surprise me. The Cascades and Olympics are unique, and we are lucky to have them!

"Holy fucking shit! Those are like real mountains." - my friend in Colorado when I showed him a picture of j-berg and then a summit shot from Eldorado.

I can testify that after completing a pickets traverse and living in Colorado for a few years that the Rockies are a range for huge giant pussies. Just kidding :P.

Oh, don't apologize. You're absolutely right. I've lived here for over four years now after living in Washington and have exactly ONE 14er under my wing. And I did it because I thought it was going to be a fun 4th class scramble. Boy was I wrong. I've done some mixed climbing on Quandry, but once the NE face pettered out to the slogging, we rappelled.

From NWMJ traverse article:

"The goal of each traverse is to stay above tree line as long as possible to maximize the stupendous views. In many respects the Cascades are not as friendly as the Sierras or Rockies. The range has more peaks that rise 3,000 feet in the last horizontal mile to their summits than any other range on earth. Although that trivia has never appeared on Jeopardy, my knees and back acknowledge that our Cascade trips are more arduous than adventures made in other ranges."

Nice little stat. But I disagree. The Karakorum is steeper than the Cascades in their last horizontal mile. But the only people who have the Karakorum probably really mapped out correctly would be the CIA or the NSA....and they probably won't share that data.